Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Ubuntu Installed Now …

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

but it’s probably the most beginner-friendly distro if you’re going with a bare-bones, “deep end” experience.

Yes. This is true

Not to get off-topic but…WHY DIDN’T YOU GUYS TELL ME THIS?! I would have installed Ubuntu on my VPS rather than Centos which I find a little difficult at times. Perhaps it’s just due to my lack of knowledge of the command line. I should probably read that link one of you gave me.

nixnerd
    Participant

I personally feel that Cent OS is a way better choice for a server for multiple reasons. It’s a virtual clone of RedHat, which has been THE server distro since Linux was born basically. From a performance and stability standpoint, I think you’re better off. Plus, CentOS is more ubiquitous in the server realm. Plus, if I’m not mistaken… doesn’t CentOS come with sane defaults for SELinux out of the box?

Either way though… with a VPS, you’re going to be working via the command line whether you run Ubuntu, CentOS, Arch or FreeBSD. SSH is SSH regardless of what distro you use.

IF you were going to switch distros, I’d probably tell you to switch to Debian. But… if it’s already configured… there’s not much to be gained.

nixnerd
    Participant

Oh and BTW @chrisburton, when @traq said this:

but it’s probably the most beginner-friendly distro if you’re going with a bare-bones, “deep end” experience.

He was talking about Arch. Not Ubuntu. Ubuntu might be the most user-friendly PERIOD. But on a server, it’s sort of a moot point. Only time you run into issues on a server is with a rolling release like Arch. But… that’s a risk I’m willing to take for most projects :)

chrisburton
    Participant

doesn’t CentOS come with sane defaults for SELinux out of the box

I believe so but sometimes it can get in the way of things. I ran into one particular issue, can’t recall for sure but I believe it was Apache, in which I had to make sure SELinux was turned off.

__
    Participant

Yeah, I was talking about Arch. Arch images aren’t available on a lot of web hosts, though.

Ubuntu Server isn’t bad. If you like ubuntu on your desktop, then you have the advantage of having a nearly identical environment on your server (minus Unity: win-win!).

CentOS rubs me the wrong way, but there’s nothing wrong with it, and it’s a very tried-and-true server platform. I’ll agree with Joe: if it’s already set up, and you’ve got no problems, just roll with it. If you have some occasion to start over and would like to try something else, go for it.

nixnerd
    Participant

You know what rubs me the wrong way? The fact that SELinux was developed by the NSA. That very simple fact is enough to give me pause about it. I’m sure it’s very useful (if you can understand it) but I think I’m going to put my effort into becoming familiar with AppArmor.

nixnerd
    Participant

Back to OP’s original question:

Now what?

Start growing a beard.

chrisburton
    Participant

The fact that SELinux was developed by the NSA. – @Joe_Temp

I briefly read something about this. Isn’t it open source now?

Also, I love the second suggested search term on Google:

nixnerd
    Participant

I briefly read something about this. Isn’t it open source now?

Yes. It is and always has been. The problem is this: Who is reviewing thousands of lines in presumably C? Not me. Open source CERTAINLY makes it harder to put in a backdoor… but it’s not impossible.

The Linux kernel had a true zero day embedded DEEP in the source. If I remember correctly, it was something like this pseudo code:

user = 0

instead of:

user == 0

Instead of being a comparative statement, it essentially set the user to root through this back door. Nobody found this for a LOOOONG time because it was SO easy to miss among 15 million+ SLOC. That’s scary.

Now, in the case of the NSA… well, they know everything you do anyway, so I don’t REALLY see the harm. But, I will say this:

The NSA had an internal presentation entitled “I hunt sysadmins.” Basically, they’re main target was and always has been sysadmins. Makes sense. You exploit one point and gain access to an entire network. I think that SELinux could have been developed from the start for the purpose of gaining access via backdoor embedded into VERY trusted software.

Mic drop. I’m out.

chrisburton
    Participant

Funniest thing I’ve read and seen all day.

nixnerd
    Participant

Funniest thing I’ve read and seen all day.

Truly, all credit to Jean-Ralphio.

Erik
    Participant

So… basically I learned that other people hate the NSA, and to grow a beard lol

__
    Participant

You’re halfway home.

You know what rubs me the wrong way? The fact that SELinux was developed by the NSA.

So was TOR. The internet was a darpa project. Being open is a bigger advantage than you might think. The NSA has their fingers in everything anyway: Windows, Apple, Cisco, RSA, various chipsets… everything. Open-source is your best bet.

nixnerd
    Participant

So was TOR. The internet was a darpa project.

I did know this. Metal Gear Solid is my favorite video game franchise for its extremely conspiratorial overtones. But, I wasn’t sure how far down that road I should go…

Being open is a bigger advantage than you might think. The NSA has their fingers in everything anyway: Windows, Apple, Cisco, RSA, various chipsets… everything. Open-source is your best bet.

This. In a world where nothing can really be trusted… the mere possibility that someone will find it is the best assurance we’re likely to get. However… I just don’t want it to be a false sense of security for people. I see that a lot in the Linux community.

nixnerd
    Participant

Should take you about a year to hit this length:

By the time you do, you’ll know quite a bit about Linux!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.