Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other TypeKit vs Google Web Fonts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Paulie_D

>a lot of great stuff is free!

Breathing FTW. ;)

chrisburton
    Participant

If you do some simple research you will find that Typekit actually works hard for their customers. That includes manually optimizing their library. Something Google does not do. And there are paid products that are better than their free competitors.

PicnicTutorials
    Participant

Using google you can host them on your site and call them via @font-face correct???

PicnicTutorials
    Participant

Never mind I think. I believe this is how https://developers.google.com/webfonts/docs/getting_started

PicnicTutorials
    Participant
    chrisburton
    Participant

Typekit and Google both use the same font loading technology. I’m on my iPhone at the moment but I’m sure someone can help you with finding it.

If the webfont is in Font Squirrel’s library, go for it.

Also, if you want to host the webfonts on your own server, there are a few distributors who allow you to do this. Of course it won’t be free which I find a good thing. We should support type designers just as much as we support developers or web designers.

dfogge
    Participant

“We should support type designers just as much as we support developers or web designers.”

Well said Chris. This aversion to paying for fonts is really baffling, especially when it’s coming from other designers.

chrisburton
    Participant

I can understand if some have very little income to support paying for fonts/webfonts but to advocate a distributor who refuse to filter the quality that comes in, well, I just wish they educated themselves on this subject, whether they agree or disagree. It’s important not only so they can educate others but to improve the quality of their work as well. Remember that text makes up the majority of the web.

Anyway, thanks for being a supporter @dfogge.

sanabria

I started using Google Fonts and liked a lot so far, the freeness does help. However, Typekit’s library looks very appealing too. I’m starting to consider making the switch, even if I had to pay a little bit more.

I’m curious about the quality of each one. For example, If I’m using Ubuntu through Typekit, will it be significantly different (better) than if I’m using it through Google Fonts?

I’ve realized that font rendering quality varies a lot depending on the OS and the browser. It would be very nice if Typekit could help in this issue.

chrisburton
    Participant

There are really well designed and optimized fonts in Google’s library (Droid Sans, Droid Serif, Open Sans, Arimo, etc). But many seem to be autohinted or poorly manually hinted.

This is somewhat related so let me quote Pablo Impallari regarding Google’s library and webfonts in general:

“Some are Print-fonts converted for web use, and some are specifically tailored for the web, such as: Open Sans, Source Sans, Merriweather, Domine, Libre Baskerville and a few more. “

“There are a few notable exceptions, where web-fonts were specially designed/tailored for the web and have key differences compared to their print-version (bigger x-height, wider, open counters, loose spacing, less contrast, etc…) such as the Webtype RE series, H&FJ smart screen fonts, Typoteque Screen fonts, and some other smaller foundries such as Monokrom and Letters From Sweden. There may be others that I’m missing now, but so far very few.”

Typekit’s library has flaws too, though. From what I understand, they do review each typeface that is offered and make adjustments if need be (but not always when needed). I think it depends on their agreement with the foundry as some optimize their own webfonts. Above @chriscoyier mentions that Typekit doesn’t offer open-source fonts which he may not have been aware of but they do, even libre fonts.

I can personally vouch for Webtype’s RE webfonts. They render incredibly well even at extremely small sizes (9px).

I’m curious about the quality of each one. For example, If I’m using Ubuntu through Typekit, will it be significantly different (better) than if I’m using it through Google Fonts?

It depends because Typekit will sometimes optimize fonts in their library. Ubuntu is open source so basically anyone is allowed to make adjustments, which it seems they have done here compared to what is in Google’s library.

I’ve realized that font rendering quality varies a lot depending on the OS and the browser. It would be very nice if Typekit could help in this issue.

They offer screenshots of how the webfont will render in each browser and platform (including on the Ubuntu OS).

CrocoDillon
    Participant

I don’t know if you meant me when in an earlier post but I never tried to advocate the use of Google Webfonts, just wanted a solid reason to prefer paid font suppliers over free ones for using the same font… which brings me to:

> Ubuntu is a libre font so basically anyone is allowed to make adjustments, which it seems they have done here compared to what is in Google’s library.

You have my attention, please elaborate :)

chrisburton
    Participant

Oops, I made a mistake. I meant Ubuntu (typeface) is open source which allows modification. A libre font just means it’s free.

Will elaborate later after I get some much needed rest.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have Typekit as part of my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription, but I still use Google Web Fonts because I may not always want to keep my Adobe subscription and then what happens to all the fonts on all the sites I’ve created? They get kicked back to the fallback font I presume, but I’d rather know that the fonts will be there even if I decide I never want to pay for anything again…

chrisburton
    Participant

@CrocoDillon I was speaking to the person just above me. Sorry if there was confusion there.

Libre fonts are free but usually come with a restrictive license of some sort.

Open source fonts allow modification and redistribution (such as Ubuntu). But to better explain it, take a look here.

CrocoDillon
    Participant

Thanks Chris, I quickly read that link you gave about font licenses but it’s only half the answer I was looking for. I meant did they (Typekit, maybe others too) make improvements to the Ubuntu font? You said it seems they did that, if that’s true and I can see the difference I might switch.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 64 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.