Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other TypeKit vs Google Web Fonts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    gno

Hi guys,

I have been looking at both TypeKit and Google Web Fonts API recently. I must say that I like the google one a lot more. And it even seems to be free.

I would be glad if some of you could shed some light upon this – give a few pros and cons for each service.

The only thing I like more about typekit is the size of their font archive. :-)

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Typekit = not open source fonts, so theoretically higher quality foundry fonts. Also, they use a font loader which solves some issues with like FOUT in Firefox.

TheDoc

Google wins me over due to the freeness.

jkidwell

I recommend trying out WebINK for web fonts.

http://www.webink.com

It’s a really clean method of integrating web fonts using @font-face.

rigelglen

If you want fast, no-signup fonts, use Google Web Fonts.
    If you want a lot of fonts and flexibility, use typekit

noiserack

I use both. Google fonts are free and seem to load a bit faster but I like Typekit for some of their fonts.

chrisburton
    Participant

My boss just purchased Typekit and I must say I simply love it.

Kamic

typekit has alot of downtime, and if you complain, they say you didn’t meet their terms of agreements and force you into higher plans. Avoid typekit at all costs!

@Kamic I can’t say that I have had the same experience. How long have you been a user for?

Johnnyb

I’ve used both numerous times and have to say that I favor Google Fonts. It’s just so much easier to use and implement, plus you can actually download the fonts for use in the design/mockup phase which is HUGE. With TypeKit you can only add a font to a domain and so I find myself having to work on typography during site development. This is a problem when I’m trying to send an accurate-as-possible comp to a client for approval. I might actually end up cancelling my TypeKit subscription for this reason as I find myself turning to Google Fonts so much more often.

chrisburton
    Participant

A lot of people were just notified about the possibility of using Google web fonts with Photoshop, which I’m assuming you’re one of them. Let me remind you that since Adobe has acquired Typekit it will likely be a future possibility but on all products. Personally, I haven’t had 1 issue and I favor Typekit as I strongly dislike Google’s library. However, I wouldn’t limit myself to just either and if possible I’ll use the old @font-face as well. But I tend to like higher quality which Typekit delivers.

Johnnyb

@ChristopherBurton “A lot of people were just notified about the possibility of using Google web fonts with Photoshop, which I’m assuming you’re one of them.” – Not sure what you meant by this, I’ve been downloading and using Google Fonts in the design process for a while now.

If and when Adobe adds this capability to Typekit it’ll greatly change my position, but for now it’s a big drawback in my opinion.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Johnnyb I made sure I said “I’m assuming”. There was a lot of chatter recently about the possibility of using Google web fonts with Photoshop via a plugin. I actually found out not too long ago but like I said above, I’m not really a fan of their library. I also don’t blame you as it seems it’s something you value a need for.

snillor

This thread motivated me to try Google Web Fonts, something I’ve not done before.

I figured I was in for a long trial-and-error process, but within 20 minutes I had it working on a test page I’ve been playing around with for some transition effects, and most of that time was spent browsing through the many fonts available. Incredibly easy to use! I’m sure I’ll be using it often.

Haven’t tried TypeKit, so I can’t comment on that.

standuncan

I’ve been using Google fonts in PS for over a year. I haven’t have the need for any fonts in many months. I went back a couple months ago and noticed they vastly increased their library and it is still continuing to grow…

Since we are on the subject though…

When you guys use them, do you externally link them, @import, embed the fonts, or ??

I have always used the @import method, but after recently reading an article on page loading times, it mentioned that the @import (in general, not specific to Google fonts) method drastically decreases page load speed. Any thoughts?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 64 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.