Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

twentytwelve theme css mess

• # March 17, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Sorry….I don’t understand why you can’t comment out that line…but then I’m not an expert in WP.

# March 17, 2013 at 8:35 pm

If you download WordPress and look at the style.css in the Twentyeleven theme, at the bottom is the media queries.

Otherwise a child theme imports this style sheet and allows an override. If I comment out that line in the original style sheet it will only return upon theme update. Let’s say a turnkey (styled) theme ships with a border on a div that you don’t want. In your child style sheet you would set it to border:none.

So we need to set the overflow to another value or do something else.

# March 17, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Maybe this is why one of hte guys from the WordPress support said he doesn’t know how to set the nav to 100% without setting the body background.

# March 18, 2013 at 5:00 am

Well there are a couple of ways but my guess is that it’s not possible without re-structuring the HTML/PHP.

# March 18, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Appreciate you not giving up on my topic.
    Is there a way to get you the header file so you can see the entire code?

# March 18, 2013 at 1:17 pm

No need….I can see it clearly in Web Inspector/Developer Tools

As I said, I know very little about WP and the themes/sub-themes.

Without taking the menu OUT of the wrapper that is keeping everything centred there is little we can do.

What you do in effect is something like this. http://codepen.io/Paulie-D/pen/oGKtA

Your main blocks are all 100% wide. If you want to limit the width you add an inner wrapping element (in the example I gave it a class of…oddly enough…”inner” and set the width you want on that.

Not sure WP &/or your theme will let you do that….

# March 18, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Why can’t we take the menu out of the wrapper?

# March 18, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Dunno….can you?

Will the theme let you?

# March 20, 2013 at 2:17 am

At this point my career is being affected so I just used a 1 piece background.
    Do you have any idea how to move the logo up on the iPhone without adding a break tag in .phone ?
    There’s a lot of floats and clears going on.
    Any idea how to style the main menu in the media query?

# March 20, 2013 at 6:42 am

I don’t have an iPhone so I can’t really help you any further.

As I said, I know very little about WP so perhaps I’m not your guy but I’m thinking that this basic theme / child-theme (which I think it is) is not the best option.

>At this point my career is being affected

I have no idea what this means.

# March 20, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I was just kidding because this has been frustrating, but I’m about to mark as solved because I’m just using one repeating background and media queries. I’ve learned a lot from you too.

# March 23, 2013 at 12:41 am

Still in dev but when in doubt use one background image.
    [Your text to link here…](http://www.proto.annethullfineartdesigns.com/ “http://www.proto.annethullfineartdesigns.com/”)

The header looks good on mobile.
    Now I can use the same approach to use a different layout for the content on mobile.

Thanks Paulie and Aaron!

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".