Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Traditional vs CMS site?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    kmj2318
    Participant

Hi. I just started learning HTML and CSS about a month ago.

I’m wondering what the actual difference between hosting a website the traditional way compared to hosting one with something like WordPress. I looked at what people said on other websites (mostly business focused, not design) and most of those people say that there really is no reason not to use a CMS. However, I feel like a place like this would give me much better answers.

I learned the fundamentals of HTML and CSS and understand JavaScript, but I know nothing about WordPress. Are there scenarios where a traditional website would be better than using WordPress? And vice versa? If you have a large organization website is a traditional website better? What are some of the things WordPress simply can’t do? Etc.

Thank you :)

chrisburton
    Participant

@kmj2318 HTML is not dynamic. Therefore, if you added an additional link in your menu you would have to do this on all your pages. Not fun if you have a lot of them. Many CMS’s use PHP which allows dynamic content. So adding an additional link in your menu would update across all pages with one single change.

I worked with WordPress for a few years, only really getting deep into it for about 6-8 months. I think it’s quite heavy for a small/portfolio site, though. Not something I’d use unless building a site like CSS-Tricks. Kirby is a really great CMS to learn and I think others have mentioned Perch (I believe that’s what it’s called) as well.

Edit: To answer your question, I’d probably only use HTML & CSS for a one page site. But it depends. I like using a Panel when editing a site so a CMS would be appropriate for me.

chrisburton
    Participant

> Hey, that screenshot is really cool! I love the slick and clean design for the panel interface! Is that Kirby?

@srig99
    Indeed. That is the Kirby panel (with a few changes to the design).

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

@kmj2318

My opinion is that every good website deserves his own custom CMS. Or no CMS at all if it’s small website. If you know HTML, CSS, JS you will have no problem to learn a bit of AJAX, PHP or ASP. Don’t poison yourself with WordPress, Joomla or similar stuff. Don’t get me wrong those are amazing platforms for building websites, but if you wan’t to master web design and development do all dirty job. Like suit tailored for you fits you better than one you bought in shop so “hand made” web site will fit better users.

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

@Melindrea

I like to have full control. :) As you said there are stuff that those CMS can help you a lot. And I’m not against them as probably sounded in my previous post. But as @kmj2318 is pretty new best decision for him will be to do all dirty job first. And he will know later when he really needs some CMS.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.