Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

To RSS or to not RSS

• # December 28, 2008 at 6:22 pm

Hey guys,

I’m currently in the middle of a complete restructure/redesign of my site and want to implement everything I want/need now instead of doing it later and having to troubleshoot problems when the site is live.

My question is, do you think having an RSS feed is necessary on something that is almost purely portfolio based? I suppose info like new packages, new completed projects, etc could go in it, but I’m not sure if it’s really worth it.

Thoughts?

Rob
    # December 28, 2008 at 8:12 pm

"blogging" or a kinda recent news is something that has become very popular for companies of all sizes – I think mostly because of the SEO benifits, although I think some like to show a personal side.

RSS is always a great option, but there isnt really any point to it if you dont have any regularly updated stuff.

So if you are going for a standard portfolio site, I would say dont bother – unless you are going to add a news, updates, blog section :) (which I would recommend – but only if you are going to commit to writing in it ;))

# December 29, 2008 at 10:20 am

Thanks Robski.

I certainly wouldn’t be committed, I just feel like it today’s world is almost something that the site simply should have, regardless of its potential or ultimate value.

So for now I’ll lean towards giving it the axe!

Rob
    # December 29, 2008 at 11:31 am
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    So for now I’ll lean towards giving it the axe!

yea you can always add it in later :)

# December 31, 2008 at 7:14 am

I was wondering about this very same thing. should I RSS my site or add wordpress to it.

as I am not up to much I decided no to include such things, but mainly update the look (as you guys have seen).

would anyone be interested in what has been updated in your portfolio?

Although I am thinking of updating my first major site in the new year and hopefully add wordpress to it, but I will have to see my instructor to find out if they want to pay for that (dedicated space and database).
    check it out: http://www.woskf.co.uk (the first version of this was in 2005, it has been updated various times, but not for 2 years, so time for a change… what would you guys recommend?)

# December 31, 2008 at 1:17 pm

RSS is not something to add INSTEAD of something like WordPress. It’s more something to add WITH WordPress.

# December 31, 2008 at 3:02 pm
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    RSS is not something to add INSTEAD of something like WordPress. It’s more something to add WITH WordPress.

hehe I know, I was originally thinking of doing RSS for one page, then decided against it, as it wont be updated that often, then I thought everyone has wordpress, I could add that, but then I came to the same conclusion, thats all I was trying to say. :) ;)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".