Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Tjeck CSS on a Mac

• # December 26, 2011 at 6:03 am

Hi
    I have always used PC (win) but I´m planning to buy my first Mac (Imac with an extra monitor :-) )
    But I’m a little worried about how too check my CSS work.
    Most people around the world are still using IE on a PC so do I have too keep my old PC for testing my CSS work?

# December 26, 2011 at 6:22 am

An good (intel) Mac will allow you to run Windows applications, like IE using WineBottler.

# December 26, 2011 at 6:40 am

I have Windows installed on my Mac using Boot Camp.

# December 26, 2011 at 9:27 am

You can use Boot Camp or Parallels to install Windows on your Mac, and use that to check your work in various versions of IE.

I was all in this same situation myself a while ago. My Mac actually broke down this past week and I so to replace it, I bought a….. PC.

A few years ago, I got a Mac just to try some different direction. While I think it’s a great machine for users (mail, calendar, address book, bookmarks, etc. all syncs and works integrated with eachother), I find it very tedious to use as a developer.

After two years of searching and trying, I never found the proper tools to make me comfortable developing my sites…and I’ve tried many! In the end, I always ended up working in Windows environment (either on my desktop PC or on a virtual environment on my Mac).

Anyways, besides the point! ;)

# December 26, 2011 at 3:51 pm

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ie+netrenderer

# December 27, 2011 at 7:30 am

Now I am completely unsure about what to do …. change to Mac ore ….
    I am tired of the noise from my PC and the Imac looks so cool :-)

Is it true that Senff says, that windows environment is a better choise for CSS work ?

# December 27, 2011 at 7:39 am

I would personally 100% disagree with Senff, I think the tools for Mac are far superior to those on Windows, but I don’t want to turn this into a flame war. You need to make this decision yourself. I will say there are many well known standardistas/developers/designers that develop on the Mac platform – Chris Coyier being one of them

# December 27, 2011 at 8:34 am

@morten. both are good just different. If you like a good PC then stick with it. A mac will not change your life. I am a mac user and a pc user but not a apple fan boy type. I like both and hate both at times. They both have there good and bad points, but neither makes you better at your profession. That is up to you.

# December 27, 2011 at 12:39 pm

@morten: please note that I never said Windows is better! I meant that personally, I am more comfortable developing on Windows than Mac. It’s the other way for @wolfcry911, showing that it really is a personal choice.

You’ll only find outwhat works best for you by trying it yourself. If you’re happy with Windows, there’s no golden rule that says that Mac will be “the same, only better”. But it also doesn’t say it will be worse…! You’ll have to try to find out.

# December 27, 2011 at 8:06 pm

I work on both daily. I must say that I definitely prefer working on my Mac for developing. I thoroughly enjoy using Coda and I haven’t found a decent editor for Windows yet (though Sublime Text 2 is a half-decent candidate).

# December 28, 2011 at 2:27 am

I have to work on a Windows machine at work and I don’t enjoy it at all. I much prefer my Mac, but as others have already said, it is personal preference.

# December 28, 2011 at 8:12 am

@Senff – sorry Senff
    @springlab – maybe I will have both a Mac and a PC. Working on the Mac and tjecking IE on the PC

# December 28, 2011 at 9:04 am

I’ve always used Mac… and testing web development work IS an issue. Chris did a webcast about the subject.

# December 28, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I actually just bought somebody’s old computer for $50 so I could do some Windows testing on it (that way I don’t have to fire up Boot Camp).

# December 28, 2011 at 3:36 pm

@charlie, how is using a Mac and testing web development any more of an issue than using a PC and testing web development? On the Mac you at least have the ability to run different flavors of Windows. How does a PC user test on the Mac platform?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".