Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Time/Project Management

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    EamonnMac

Just throwing it out there, but how do you guys keep track of the hours you work on a particular project? Pen and paper? Day-by-day rota? Desktop app? Online tools?

If you do use any particular applications, please give them a shout out so I can check them out! :roll:

TheDoc

Personally, I use Freshbooks. I’ve set up a system where I can manage all of my clients while still using the free account. It’s not the greatest system (and I’m open to doing some research on other options when I get some spare time), but I really like the company. I had to deal with their customer service once and it was amazing – ended up exchanging some emails just talking about music!

EamonnMac

Oh yeah – I stick to original estimates to get a site live, the hourly rate only comes in afterward to keep the whole "while you’re at it" thing in check!

I’ll give Freshbooks a look, see what they’re about. I”ll click on Chris’ ad and he can owe me a cent! :D Anyone else come accross any gems – or just good practices?

EDIT: Yeah, the more I think on it, the more I want to look at what others do to manage their day – do you guys work on one site on Monday, another on Tuesday, etc.; or do deal with one site’s particular issue of the day before moving on to another site’s problem? Or maybe you like to have a .htaccess Friday? A Markup Monday? ;)

My big problem is that at them moment, I just sit down in the morning with a specific site’s specific problem in my head and, once that solved (or I grow bored/frustrated!) I just aimlessly drift to something else. Next thing I know the day has passed by and I have no hand-on-heart way of saying what hours I spent of actual labour on so-and-so’s site. I end up guessing, and then undercutting myself to err on the side of caution. That’s no way to make a living!

EamonnMac

That’s good – investing time rather than ‘devoting’. I like that!

Andy Staple
    Participant

I use Subernova for project managment, organization, and time tracking.

I use LessAccounting for accounting and taxes.

EamonnMac

I have to say, I’m giving Freshbooks a go, and so far it’s all working a treat. Set up your own profile, set up clients, assign projects to those clients, and track time spent on projects either manually/retrospectively or by timer (which can automatically log those hours for you).

I can also set an hourly rate, a client or project rate, give discount, track exspenses, the works. And so far (as I have only three clients on it) it’s all free! Seriously thinking of subscribing…

EDIT: I had a look at Subernova Andy, but was immediately put off by the $15 pm charge, albeit with a 30 day free trial. Freshbooks’ policy of allowing complete use for up to three clients for free beyond a fixed time period is a big plus for me. Plus its built-in invoicing means that a time-limit would probably mean that you wouldn’t get to see or use many of the invoicing facilities available to you otherwise… my 2 cents ;) … although they are cheaper than Freshbooks’ $20 pm and do offer a more reasonable yearly rate of $145(ish) which I was looking for from Freshbooks but cannot see the option. $240 per year is a little on the steep side.

Andy Staple
    Participant
    "EamonnMac" wrote:
    EDIT: I had a look at Subernova Andy, but was immediately put off by the $15 pm charge, albeit with a 30 day free trial. Freshbooks’ policy of allowing complete use for up to three clients for free beyond a fixed time period is a big plus for me. Plus its built-in invoicing means that a time-limit would probably mean that you wouldn’t get to see or use many of the invoicing facilities available to you otherwise… my 2 cents ;) … although they are cheaper than Freshbooks’ $20 pm and do offer a more reasonable yearly rate of $145(ish) which I was looking for from Freshbooks but cannot see the option. $240 per year is a little on the steep side.

They’re different types of apps honestly. I know the pricing scares some away and I didn’t enjoy it at first but its a life saver to me now.

Subernova is much more than just an invoicing system. It is a Project Management system. It includes the ability to add milestones, deadlines, projects, clients, links, and still does the automatic invoicing within that.

Subernova is what I’ve found to be the best fit for me. I know it won’t be for everyone but you should check out the free trial. Its more competition to bigger more expensive apps like 37 Signals Basecamp.

I liked freshbooks when I tried it, but I just wanted something that had invoicing + project management built in to kill 2 birds with one stone.

deltoid

Projectile is a great tool, basically a Freshbooks and Basecamp in one package. Time tracking, invoicing, project management, etc. Also, it is super cheap, making it a great option for small businesses. http://projectilepro.com/

chrisburton
    Participant

I really like Solo but the only downside at this point is the fact they do not have Paypal integration. They’ve mentioned adding it in the new year but no specifics.

TheDoc

As a follow up, I’m no longer using Freshbooks. I am using Billings (Mac) to track my time and I have some custom templates that I use for invoicing/quotes/etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You ever thought about the old school Microsoft Excel spreadsheet? I’m a process guy so it’s natural for me to reach for Excel when tracking, well, just about anything. I know it’s not a wild and awesome new solution, but it’s my go to tool for what your suggesting.

I’ve been using BlinkSale recently… I signed up when I got a promotion discount from mightydeals… and I’ve been liking it. It doesn’t handle expenses really well… but I just created a client for myself and I invoice myself to handle expenses. And the developer is really good that runs it. I’ve emailed him several times with questions and gotten answers back in no time. And it’s one of the only ones I saw that had unlimited invoices and clients for a flat fee.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.