Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Thoughts please

• Rob
    # January 11, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Hey guys,

Ive been sketching around some ideas about building a site that will be a kinda online CV/portfolio – where I can direct potential contacts towards. Now I started at the begining, and have been sketching some logo ideas – I have combined some of this ideas together in photoshop for my first run on the new brand/logo.

and here it is.

http://www.svgonline.co.uk/testlogo3.jpg

Now the idea is that the top shorter images you can see can be the shorthand version – and the longer ones are the full logo.

Black and white side – all logos have to look respectable, recognisable and good in greyscale, so they are just the greyscale versions :)

Comments good and bad are very welcome – dont worry about offending :)

# January 11, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Reminded me of Rare’s logo.
    [img]http://img.engadget.com/common/images/4618473383872462.JPG?0.140621979908638[/img]

Were you going to give yourself a company name, or simply just your own name? I think branding yourself with a name other than your own is a good idea, but that might just be a personal preference.

I don’t quite understand what the "#" sign is there for, but maybe I just haven’t had enough caffeine today. It’s tough when using the "R" in any type of logo because I think peoples’ minds will go right to "Registered".

Have you thought about designing a logo that doesn’t directly use your name or your initials? I’m not much of a logo designer, but when I’m forced into having to do it, I always check out logopond and the lot for inspiration/ideas.

Rob
    # January 11, 2009 at 6:21 pm
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    Reminded me of Rare’s logo.
    [img]http://img.engadget.com/common/images/4618473383872462.JPG?0.140621979908638[/img]

Were you going to give yourself a company name, or simply just your own name? I think branding yourself with a name other than your own is a good idea, but that might just be a personal preference.

I don’t quite understand what the "#" sign is there for, but maybe I just haven’t had enough caffeine today. It’s tough when using the "R" in any type of logo because I think peoples’ minds will go right to "Registered".

Have you thought about designing a logo that doesn’t directly use your name or your initials? I’m not much of a logo designer, but when I’m forced into having to do it, I always check out logopond and the lot for inspiration/ideas.

I am soooooo glad you pick up on the rareware logo – other people I have asked, when I have said "it looks too much like the rareware logo" they say, its ok it looks different… I wasnt convinced.

The # was there one to add some style – and as a subtle CSS joke… # being for ID

As for my name – I was going to stick with my name, because its different. I never use my name for anything and wouldnt look into it – but my line of thinking with this site was personal, almost CV ish – not hiding behind something else, freelancer esq.

My main site has a name SVGOnline. (Salford Vinyl Graphics) but as its more based really towards signage, I wanted to have somewhere that I could have people come who were either looking for a freelancer or a kinda one on one designer type dude.

Do you think I should stick around that name? or something like that?

Cool thanks for the feedback Doc :) much appreciated :D

# January 11, 2009 at 6:27 pm
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    The # was there one to add some style – and as a subtle CSS joke… # being for ID

See, not enough caffeine haha.

If it’s something more personal, I say do something creative. Let’s see you turn that R into a logo, if that makes sense. Make your own R, your R.

# January 12, 2009 at 2:48 am

talking about names, why not just play on the r mac? not r mackay, that way it is personal and you can expand it to a company for freelancing withuout sounding like a ral name

sorry I did not think much of the logo, too much like that rareware thing, especially the outer border.

why not make an eagle (or bird) sort of flying up to the top right, its head turned down as if its spotted something with its wing flapping together in fromt to make the R (just a very early morning thought)

Rob
    # January 12, 2009 at 4:47 am
    "ikthius" wrote:
    talking about names, why not just play on the r mac? not r mackay, that way it is personal and you can expand it to a company for freelancing withuout sounding like a ral name

See now I liked that R Mac idea – but other people said it was too much of a Mac reference… lol

Good thought for early morning! Although im not much of an eagles inlogo person lol

# January 12, 2009 at 8:42 am
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    "ikthius" wrote:

See now I liked that R Mac idea – but other people said it was too much of a Mac reference… lol

Good thought for early morning! Although im not much of an eagles inlogo person lol

who cares about the Mac ref, some guy I know is a driving instructor, called docherty and he called the driving doc, but he not a a doctor hehe.

ok, best way to think about a logo (I think) is think of what colour sheme you like, then what sort of shapes/animals/objects that you seem drawn to/like. Then try and see if soething you seem to get an idea for will suit your business idea, your selling your talent it is a business.

good luck dude, let me knwow how you get on

what about keeping to your coding theme, and make a #R-mac { position-relative; but have the #R close to you and the rest of the code going away (perspective) so that the position relative starts to fade away, so that it looks like code, then fancy it up with good colours and better fonts (I am loving the georgia bold italic font at the moment)
    and maybe add other snippets of code above and below your #R-mac but hinting its there but not there, e.g.: above #R-mac you see the bottom of the last line of code and above the next line of code

I made up something very simple:
    image one is what I wrote as code:
    image 2 is what I meant it to look like (although not as good as you could do)
    [img]http://www.woskf.co.uk/images/robski.png[/img]
    [img]http://www.woskf.co.uk/images/robski3.png[/img]

Rob
    # January 12, 2009 at 8:51 am
    "ikthius" wrote:
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    "ikthius" wrote:

who cares about the Mac ref, some guy I know is a driving instructor, called docherty and he called the driving doc, but he not a a doctor hehe.

ok, best way to think about a logo (I think) is think of what colour sheme you like, then what sort of shapes/animals/objects that you seem drawn to/like. Then try and see if soething you seem to get an idea for will suit your business idea, your selling your talent it is a business.

good luck dude, let me knwow how you get on

what about keeping to your coding theme, and make a #R-mac { position-relative; but have the #R close to you and the rest of the code going away (perspective) so that the position relative starts to fade away, so that it looks like code, then fancy it up with good colours and better fonts (I am loving the georgia bold italic font at the moment)
    and maybe add other snippets of code above and below your #R-mac but hinting its there but not there, e.g.: above #R-mac you see the bottom of the last line of code and above the next line of code

Hey thanks again :)

yea im following a very loose standard design process – I like to take time with logo design, because its so important. I’m gonna play with your #r-mac idea – I love the {position:relative … lol awesome :D

Today, while I wait for a reply on this next job im going on, Im gonna be bashing out all the things people have said and trying to come sketch up something from that :)

Thanks everyone for your input – Anyone else who wants to stick their opinion in please do! Dont worry im not attached to it, it only took 10 mins and a few descriptive ideas sketched out :D – This is only the begining! :)

Rob
    # January 12, 2009 at 4:20 pm

oww just saw your edit, I like the angled look :)

Ive just pulled together another idea from some sketches i did – and here it is – it avoids my name, as was suggested…

[img]http://svgonline.co.uk/db2.jpg[/img]

# January 12, 2009 at 4:25 pm

I like it! I think you’re getting close with that one, real close. Try rearranging it a few times, something doesn’t seem quite right about the set up. Or maybe it’s fine, I can’t tell right now.

Rob
    # January 12, 2009 at 4:38 pm
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    I like it! I think you’re getting close with that one, real close. Try rearranging it a few times, something doesn’t seem quite right about the set up. Or maybe it’s fine, I can’t tell right now.

thanks dude, I think its the typography in the mug that needs sorting for me really. I think I need to make it smaller and have more of it… what do you think?

# January 12, 2009 at 4:42 pm

I prefer the darker one, but I think the fonts are wrong, just for that.

with teh words inside the cup, is there any chance you can change the writing to maybe look glazed slightly, you know how like on cardboard like business cards or maybe aftershave boxes, you might have a matt then a shiny coating over some words???, this may highlight them better, I can see the steam better on the darker one.
    what about making the design brew on the cup, like going round the cup? or looking in the cup and the design brew stirring as if making a brew???

why design brew?

Rob
    # January 12, 2009 at 4:47 pm
    "ikthius" wrote:
    I prefer the darker one, but I think the fonts are wrong, just for that.

with teh words inside the cup, is there any chance you can change the writing to maybe look glazed slightly, you know how like on cardboard like business cards or maybe aftershave boxes, you might have a matt then a shiny coating over some words???, this may highlight them better, I can see the steam better on the darker one.
    what about making the design brew on the cup, like going round the cup? or looking in the cup and the design brew stirring as if making a brew???

why design brew?

yea the 2 are because you need to have a logo that works in greyscale too, its just good practice.

thanks for the ideas again :) In the printing world they call that "spot laminating" and it could be a good idea, I shall have a play :)

Why design brew? because when I design I drink brews… :D its a nice play on 2 things I love, plus designs do kind of brew – it takes a while for them to become just right. :) like this thread :D

# January 12, 2009 at 4:48 pm
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    "TheDoc" wrote:

thanks dude, I think its the typography in the mug that needs sorting for me really. I think I need to make it smaller and have more of it… what do you think?

I actually agree with you there, adding more in there would be good, fill in some of that awkward white space.

# January 12, 2009 at 4:53 pm

good luck robski,

I am still having a think for the header of my martial arts site, for banners, got a new idea of looking for chinese rooftops, but can’t find any.

designing an image of some kind is the hardest thing for me, but your graphics side should give you an edge hehe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".