Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Thinking about redoing my logo

• # July 6, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I think that particular sans-serif typeface should go. The ‘N’ looks incredibly funky and the color palette doesn’t compliment each other except for Concept 7 minus the yellow of the symbol.

I agree with @TheDoc but a better and different sans-serif typeface should do the trick.

# July 6, 2012 at 6:25 pm

The main reason I made it yellow was that all my existing colors are in black / yellow / orange. So I was trying to keep it consistent, but I’m definitely open to something different.

@ChristopherBurton – is this kind of in line with what you mean? Idea

I tried a new font – maybe this one will be better :) I’m glad I have access to some typography guys lol.

# July 6, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Yes, much better choice. I would go a bit deeper and not be so strong on the dark gradient on the 3D effect. I would also give the text -45 degree gradient (shades of black/gray). Oh and for the symbol, I wouldn’t make it “pop” that much. You still want to make it look like it’s part of the text.

# July 6, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I’ll try and work on the depth some more – it just doesn’t feel clean to me.

I also put together a quick font option sheet with sans-serif fonts: Font Options.

Edit – some new depth options. I kinda like it down versus to the right: Depths.

# July 6, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I love the third option but also like the 5th as well.

# July 6, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Yeah I like the cut of the N particularly on those two.

# July 6, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Looks like Neutra Face (3rd option)

# July 6, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Yup, but it’s the Display version of that font. 5 is Futura.

# July 6, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I have it as well. They just came out with Nuetra Face Slab. Anyway, looking forward to those changes.

# July 6, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Ok, check this out – I re-added the tagline and then added some color options.

Final Set 1

# July 8, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Does the orange look bad? I kind of like it, but I get where people say that it may not integrate with the word. New Orange Version

# July 8, 2012 at 1:57 pm

My typography teacher would murder you for not having the “ouroboros” O not be the same thickness as everything else its fitting in with. The last set you linked is the best for the under text and I am glad you got rid of the drop shadow. It looked like it did not belong and was a distraction to the overall concept. I also think you should try the typical sans / serif. Sans is your main part of the logo, so try a serif on the bottom for more contrast, perhaps even all in small caps or lower case. Small caps is made to be wider than normal upper case, so would put a little more weight on the bottom to balance the very large top you have.

# July 8, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Also, Josh, you’re making the symbol stand out too much. It’s not quite matching the color palette of the rest of the text and the darker color of the gradient is too strong. The hardest part is getting it right. It’s probably best since this typeface has such a thin weight to it, to use a single color.

# July 8, 2012 at 5:13 pm

@ChristopherBurton – Upon Jeager’s suggestion, I made the symbol about the same thickness as the type to see how it is. To me it looks better thicker but I’m curious what others think after they see it.

@Jeager – yes the shadow was just for the concept. I don’t think it would belong on any actual application I can think of.

As for the “O” not being the same thickness – above, in my first versions I was about the same if not a little thinner and after trying it slightly thicker I thought most people (including myself) liked it more.

Here’s the next set that has both sans/serif versions with the new thickness and I kept it all in blue this time. Final Set 2

# July 8, 2012 at 5:18 pm

After seeing both thick/thin of the O, either would honestly work. Go with your gut, but however it is overall more cohesive of a design being the same thickness. Also, I love the last of the set with all the bottom characters in lower case serifs.

The issue I am seeing right now is the ‘B’ and the ‘E’ roughly where the x-height would be for the font face is where the cross bars of the B and the E should be, i’d say closer to where the current one in the B is. I think if you lined the E’s up, it would read much better also.

Edit: One other small adjustment I see being, in the stylized O, the cutout facing the arrow tip is rounded, perhaps try to make it the same angle as the arrow tip.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".