Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other The Price Is Right – How much would you charge for this WordPress project?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    supperman
    Participant

I can. But there is a market for everything and i dont know the market. For example: I sure know that if ill try to sell my 15 old Fiat Punto for 20.000€, no one is going to buy it, because I know the market and it wont allow it to sell this high.
    The problem is i dont know the markets price range for this kind of work.

edit:
    I dont do this project directly for the customer, but for a webdesign company as sub-worker (dont know the right word).

chrisburton
    Participant

@djdaniel150

`If you create an original design of your own, Google will grade your site much higher than some template that 100,000 other websites use.`

Not in so many words but you pretty much said that.

`Also, I never stated that Google would rank a page differently based on its layout.`

djdaniel150

@supperman Never give a price up front, but rather a range. A lot of time people will start wanting more and more after you’ve already begun the project, yet they don’t want to pay more. I stopped making websites for others years ago because people are too cheap, they want their sites for free! There’s better ways to make money online, like “cost per click” or affiliate ads.

supperman
    Participant

I charge 8€/hour for work. I think this is the cheapest rate.

chrisburton
    Participant

That is incredibly low. Probably the lowest I’ve ever seen.

supperman
    Participant

Students here work for 6€/hour or less and for real programming!
    edit:
    As i said, income is 1300$/month – that is in dollars.

Lets say i make this site in a day and a half. That would be 12hours + 8€/h = 96€ (124$).

chrisburton
    Participant

If you’re accepting clients, you’re in the professional area and that amount is low enough to only get those who want to pay $100 or less for a site. That won’t get you anywhere.

If you’re wanting to learn how to interact with clients, do it for free for non-profit/charities.

supperman
    Participant

True to some point. But I must start at something. Better than have lots of work and do it cheap and get live experience. Or have little to no work and have little to no live experience and just read blogs and do tutorials etc.

djdaniel150

People in india do the same jobs Americans do for $9.00 an hour that otherwise would pay $25.00 an hour here. This is why all of our jobs are outsourced now and Americans can’t find jobs. Its also another reason I’m self employed, I can’t get laid off or fired. If your self employed you also get paid much more. I made $100.00 an hour repairing computers, who would pay that today? No one. If you repair PC’s at best buy you might make like $12.00 an hour. Pointless. Supperman has the right idea, regardless of how much he’s making, atleast he’s independent.

chrisburton
    Participant

You don’t need clients to show you’re valuable. You can create your own products that generate income.

supperman
    Participant

@chrisburton what do you have in mind?

chrisburton
    Participant

Let’s look at the products that have already been created; Twitter, MailChimp, Treehouse, Webtype, Typekit, Basecamp, Dribbble, CodePen (pro version), Gimme Bar, Dropbox, businesses like ThemeZilla, etc.

supperman
    Participant

Thanks for giving me some alternative ideas for thinking in other directions.
    But I have to come up with hours of work and price in aprox 10 hours tho. Time here is 1.30 in the morning. deadline is 12h noon.
    I wont bang my head on this one all night, dont get me wrong. I just wanted you guys shoot out some numbers.
    A no-brainer of some sort.

chrisburton
    Participant

How can we? We don’t know your abilities or skill level or your cost of living.

TheDoc

The problem is that a price requires a bunch of different variables like: experience, quality of work, local market, client market, number of templates, complexity of templates, browser compatability, custom solutions, etc.

For WordPress projects you should focus on *templates* and not total number of pages. Once you create the ‘Page’ template, you’re not going to have to build it again. So if the user wants to have 100 pages, that’s not a development issue (though it *is* an issue if you are also entering content, so keep that in mind as well).

Unfortunately, nobody can tell you what to charge! If you’re just starting out, you’ll need to do a few projects before you really find out what you should be charging. Most people charge too little when they are first starting out because they are nervous about scaring prospective clients away with big estimates. This eventually changes when you finish a project and think, “Well, that wasn’t worth it.” Next time you’ll know to charge more.

If you think that this entire project will take you 12 hours to complete, then the simplest formula is:

12 hours x {Your Hourly Rate} = Project Cost

For example, I charge at a rate of $50/hr. So for me it would be:

12 x $50 = $600

For me, it’s not particularly worth to get into an entire project for $600 (since I don’t freelance full time), so I’d probably charge more to make it worth my time.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.