Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other The Lodge

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Senff
    Participant

Well, you could watching a “Making Of” documentary of a movie, but that won’t necessarily teach you how to make a movie (though you might learn a thing or two).

Chris’ screencasts are no tutorials — they will show you how this specific site was made, not necessarily how you have to make your site. It’s not a course, not a tutorial….it’s a look in Chris’ kitchen. Sure you’ll learn things from it, but don’t confuse “this is how you do this and that” with “this is an example of how you could do this and that“.

Zoom
    Participant

Thanks for the info. I am doing PS, HTML & CSS for more than 10 years, so no problem there. I believe what you say, but this means that the description of “The Lodge” (https://css-tricks.com/lodge/) is misleading. In that page it is referred to as a “course” with Chris as the “teacher”. It also says nothing that just 9 of the 150 videos are currently uploaded. On the contrary it says that registering would give you “Access to the entire video library”. I was planning to register for just 1 month and watch all videos (or all that I cared about). If Chris is going to upload those videos gradually then it should be made clear at the sign-up page.

TheDoc

“The Lodge is a members only area with access to a screencast video series covering the complete redesign of this very website.”

Absolutely nothing misleading about that at all. I agree that all of the videos should probably be posted, but I’m sure @chriscoyier is working on posting them as quick as he can.

aoeui
    Participant

@chriscoyier

hi,

I did not want to start a separate thread for this and make a mess here in forums :)

I have 2 ideas, improvements for UX let’s say ;)

Could you implement in THE LODGE a “Grid View” / “List View” button or so ?
    What you got there is like “Grid View”, all the text, links, bigger box.

There are some videos I believe some of us will not watch more times so skipping those would be better.
    If we could see the list of videos (titles only perhaps) that would definitely help.
    As it would take less space and scanning / reading the list would be a lot easier and faster.

And one more thing.

The function … “Mark as Watched” / “Watched” … does not do much right now.

In email we all have “Mark as read” so it hides the email, moves it to the bottom, changes color, etc.

This could do some similar stuff, well not to hide it literally but for example “fade out” the colours or make the watched video less dominant.

Hope you get me right in what I mean.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Mark as Read is already implemented in there. Good ideas on the other stuff. =)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.