Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

The Dreaded IE8

• # November 15, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I had a huge wakeup call when I realized a client was discovering in her analytics that IE8 was still being used by 50% of her Windows users (and she gets a lot of traffic).

So I’ve been going into all my sites, and fixing border radiuses (with PIE) and box shadows (still can’t get this one all the time, but I’ll make a post about it later)

One of the things I’ve noticed is I can’t seem to float:right an image in IE-8.

http://www.robertallenbaker.com/awestar/cambodia

Well, I guess I’m wondering….should I be using float:right to align images right and around text or something else?

# November 15, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Of course float:right; works fine in IE8 (and things look good when I visit your site in IE8 too), so there must be something else going wrong there…

# November 15, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I’m so embarrassed.

I cleared my cache a few times to see if it changed, and it did.

So sorry about that.

IE8 seems to not clear cache unless you do it several times, or maybe it’s just my Virtual Box acting up on me.

Thank you so much.

# November 15, 2012 at 8:10 pm

This probably isn’t what happened to you, but just a word of advice: careful with CSS PIE. I have used it in sites in the past and it has had the tendency to cause elements on the page to behave strangely.

# November 16, 2012 at 5:54 am

As @theacefes says PIE can be somewhat troublesome. I always recommend using it only on the essentials as it does have problems with shadows, especially in responsive design.

I’d recommend using it in moderation only on bits that look broken or absolutely require gradients/radiuses. Shadows ultimately are more visual flair, if you can get away without using them make sure you do.

Keep in mind also that if you do use shadows with PIE make sure to set the background colour of the element because it will otherwise show the shadow underneath the content of the box.

# November 16, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Good idea. It doesn’t HAVE to have rounded edges or box shadows.

Just hate how sites look on IE8 when I’m done with them.

Such a fan of not using images to make rounded edges now that CSS can handle it effectively.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".