Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Tahoma font family

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mmcgu1966
    Participant

It seems that every time I look-up the font-family for Tahoma, nobody can agree on it’s font-family. Currently I’m using:

_font-family: Tahoma,Geneva,Kalimati,sans-serif;_

but wanted to see if we could come up with a ‘best answer’ to one of life’s most pressing questions.

chrisburton
    Participant

@mmcgu1966 Are you talking about the actual font family (regular, bold) or font stacking?

chrisburton
    Participant

@mmcgu1966 I’m not following what you’re saying.

chrisburton
    Participant

Wow. That’s a bit crazy with font stacking.

chrisburton
    Participant

I read it but we’ve come a long way since 2009.

@mmcgu1966 What do you mean by a font stack that targets Tahoma? Technically speaking, that font stack targets Frutiger and falls back to Tahoma/Helvetica/sans-serif if required.

If you want a Tahoma specific font stack, then something like this would work well (taken from http://cssfontstack.com/):

font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Segoe, sans-serif;

In terms of choosing a font stack, there is no perfect answer, so I wouldn’t be too worried that everyone doesn’t agree. Simply choose a stack that works well for you. Try and choose fonts that have similar character widths and x-heights, and have good OS support.

chrisburton
    Participant

I agree with Josh, Verdana is a perfect choice for a fallback to Tahoma. You should look into web fonts. If you’re looking for text type I would recommend Webtype.

Most importantly I would find similarities between the glyphs, not just width and x-height.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.