Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Tahoma font family

• # October 10, 2012 at 3:31 pm

It seems that every time I look-up the font-family for Tahoma, nobody can agree on it’s font-family. Currently I’m using:

_font-family: Tahoma,Geneva,Kalimati,sans-serif;_

but wanted to see if we could come up with a ‘best answer’ to one of life’s most pressing questions.

# October 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm

@mmcgu1966 Are you talking about the actual font family (regular, bold) or font stacking?

# October 10, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I was about to whip-out “stacking”, but now I’m curious why you ask since I thought it was kinda moot outside of using it outside of ‘@font-face’.

# October 10, 2012 at 3:50 pm

@mmcgu1966 I’m not following what you’re saying.

# October 10, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I think I found a better answer here:

http://www.sitepoint.com/eight-definitive-font-stacks-2/

font-family: Frutiger, “Frutiger Linotype”, Univers, Calibri, “Gill Sans”, “Gill Sans MT”, “Myriad Pro”, Myriad, “DejaVu Sans Condensed”, “Liberation Sans”, “Nimbus Sans L”, Tahoma, Geneva, “Helvetica Neue”, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;

# October 10, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Wow. That’s a bit crazy with font stacking.

# October 10, 2012 at 4:09 pm

A little overkill, but the whole article is worth reading. I’ve never used Frutiger before and like the look. Here’s my current (simpler) stack that targets Tahoma:

font-family: Frutiger, “Frutiger Linotype”, Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif;

# October 10, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I read it but we’ve come a long way since 2009.

# October 10, 2012 at 6:08 pm

@mmcgu1966 What do you mean by a font stack that targets Tahoma? Technically speaking, that font stack targets Frutiger and falls back to Tahoma/Helvetica/sans-serif if required.

If you want a Tahoma specific font stack, then something like this would work well (taken from http://cssfontstack.com/):

font-family: Tahoma, Verdana, Segoe, sans-serif;

In terms of choosing a font stack, there is no perfect answer, so I wouldn’t be too worried that everyone doesn’t agree. Simply choose a stack that works well for you. Try and choose fonts that have similar character widths and x-heights, and have good OS support.

# October 10, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I agree with Josh, Verdana is a perfect choice for a fallback to Tahoma. You should look into web fonts. If you’re looking for text type I would recommend Webtype.

Most importantly I would find similarities between the glyphs, not just width and x-height.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".