Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Table Sizing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Johnathan
    Participant

Hey, I’m working on a web app and I need to display some tabular data. The is generated dynamically so there is no way for me to find out the exact sizes.
    I want each row to be a specific height and have a max-width with an elipsis if the content is too big for the cell.
    Adding max-width doesn’t seem to do anything and setting a specific height works until the content overflows..
    When I add table-layout:fixed; to my table it stops the content overflowing how I would like it but it ignores the cell padding and it sets a fixed width for each column. Is there anyway to have the overflow hidden like I want, each row having the fixed height and have each column base its width on the th for that column?
    Also with the table:layout:fixed; when I add more columns the others just shrink so they are all an even size.

I don’t know if I explained myself that well so if you don’t understand let me know and I’ll try to explain it better.

Thanks
    Johnathan

Kestral

In CSS, there is no way to truncate the text as your describing it. ("Item two is…") You’d have to use JavaScript or something else.

You can use overflow: hidden; for a start, though.

Also, if using layout: fixed; I can assume that you can add an !important property to the declarations not applying.

Also, do you have a link to the issue?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.