Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Suggestion: Good book/video-tutorial course on web-design and typography

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    jatinh

I would like some suggestions on nice books/video tutorials in web design and typography.
    To be more specific, I’m comfortable with most languages (i think), and would like books that would help me make my website more more attractive.
    I’d like at least one book on typography and another one on general design techniques as well.
    Currently, I’m reading “Don’t make me think” by Steve Krug.

jatinh

@joshuanhibbert. Thanks. The website seems like it could be really helpful.
    Any more suggestions?

chrisburton
    Participant

Before @joshuanhibbert jumps the gun on offering blogs he writes for :P, what sort of specifics on typography?

jatinh

Basically, I want to work on making my website designs more attractive and striking.

chrisburton
    Participant

So just basic web typography. I’ll roundup some books/mags and post back later.

Here’s a few videos from Dana Tanamachi which is my all-time favorite typographer. She’s purely brilliant in the way she arranges type and one of the best in the industry.

jatinh

@ChristopherBurton. Appreciate your help.
    How good is this book, for what i need?
    https://shop.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-ebook-typography.html

chrisburton
    Participant

@jatinh

I’ve never read that book nor have I heard of it.

Thinking With Type: 2nd Revised and Expanded Edition

There’s a lot of hype about 8 Faces from Elliot Jay Stocks. I have never read his magazines but they always sell out. I would assume either these are really good or it’s just hype because Elliot is popular in the industry.

Also, a lot of typography comes from inspiration from others. Today I added over 130 pieces of typography designs to a gimmebar collection found here.

jatinh

@ChristpherBurton. That should help me improve on type. Any good resource on web design in general?

chrisburton
    Participant

If I think about it, there really isn’t a small resource. Are you aware of Smashing Mag, .net magazine, etc?

chrisburton
    Participant

@ChristopherBurton Actually it has nothing to do with the fact the I write on Baseline. It’s an open community so anyone can. It’s the personal project of a close friend of mine and I really want to see it take off!

jatinh

@ChristopherBurton I happen to be a big fan of smashing magazine and many other web design blogs. Including css-tricks.

chrisburton
    Participant

Josh, don’t get defensive, it was a joke.

@jatinh
    – Follow them on Twitter, they all post great stuff on there. I can’t think of just a few great resources that I always go to. I usually have 10-15 tabs open searching around for things I like and then I save them on Gimme Bar to look at later.

@ChristopherBurton *sigh* What’s with all the assumed defensiveness around here as of late? It’s getting old pretty quick. Try re-reading my reply with a fresh set of eyes, then you might see the excitement I was attempting to express.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.