Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Strange behaviour Jquery

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kenneth

I’ve got two problems using script and a man’s best friend (google) can’t give me an answer.

http://www.kapittel-wervik.be/kclub

Problem 1:

This gives an error in firebug: $ not defined

Code:

But when I use the next lines of code, it does

Code:

I can get it defined but why doesn’t it work like it should and like it works on all the other sites?

Problem 2:

The following just doesn’t do anything

Code:
    apostrophe
    Participant

Wordpress uses a couple of other javascript libraries as well as jQuery and they also use the $ sign. So you have a conflict going on.
    I always use the google hosted version of jQuery thus:

Code:

But if you want to use the version bundled with WordPress you can use this line:

Code:

And as regards the conflict, change $ to ‘jQuery’ so you would have:

Code:
    Kenneth

Still no success

Code:

this now gives me "Jquery not defined" so still the same error.

When i put

Code:

I don’t get the error but the script doesn’t do anything. When i’m learning something i try to do stuff myself instead of copy-paste from other sites. But even a copy-paste from the original site doesn’t do anything

apostrophe
    Participant

First thing I notice is

Code:
    Jquery

should be

Code:
    jQuery

and the second thing is the path to your image. I’m guessing it is in with your theme files so the path should look something like this:

Code:
    /images/affiches/event_small.png’
    James

If you give a SCRIPT element a SRC then any code residing within it will NOT run. You have to include two SCRIPT elements; one to get jQuery and another for your code:

Code:

Kenneth

I finally found the problem.

The problem wasn’t the function I called, but when I called it:

Code:

I have to "wp_enqueue" the script before <?php wp_head(); ?> and the script itself has to come after <?php wp_head(); ?> I placed everything above <?php wp_head(); ?>

Spent hours and hours on this and I can’t believe it was something so small like this. But it makes sense

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.