Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Starting WordPress?

• # December 14, 2011 at 12:36 am

Hey Everyone! I’ve been a stalker around this site for the last 4-5 months, and decided to join the forums. For my first topic, I need help. I’m currently making a site for a group I’m in, and I need to make a WordPress site. However, I don’t know where to start, and I was hoping you guys could help me out.

As for costs, I want this to cost nothing, but if there’s something I have to pay for, then I have no choice. So far, we registered a domain name with GoDaddy, and the transfer code date is the 29th of January, so nothing can be live until then.

So what I need are tutorials, and such, and just things that can start me off, even comments with descriptions on how WordPress works.

P.S. I have an intermediate knowledge of CSS, and I understand almost all HTML. (For CSS I know the basics of floats, coloring parts, how hover works, and CSS3 transitions. )

Thanks in Advance,
    Odd_E

# December 14, 2011 at 12:53 am

This is a great place to start. Welcome to the site @Odd_E…Don’t be afraid to ask questions, always make sure you include samples of your code when you have questions and if possible use jsfiddle.net to provide examples we can all tinker with.

The forums are just one tool, you can learn alot just by browsing…I highly recommend you watch this series: http://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts/71-building-a-website-photoshop-mockup/ where @chriscoyier eventually turns the design into a static html/css site then converts it into a wordpress theme….which is a pretty standard workflow for theming

# December 14, 2011 at 1:15 am

Thanks @kgscott284, but I don’t think I said in the post was that, I know how to make a site: http://odd-e.webs.com I use a lot of Chris’s stuff. But what I need is tutorials on how to use wWordpress with your own code so that you can easily blog without messing with the static files.

# December 14, 2011 at 1:18 am

You mean like utilizing wordpress functions? I am not sure exactly what you mean?

I would still recommend you learn how to create a basic wordpress theme from an HTML site, it will really help give you a solid understanding of the framework before you jump into the more difficult stuff.

# December 14, 2011 at 1:31 am

Sorry for being unclear. What I meant was are their specific tags to replace things in WordPress. For like a Tumblr theme you replace the exact img src=”#” with {PhotoURL:500} which specifies for all photos that appear in this div, they all will be 500px wide, and respectively scaled by height. You would also put {Title} in the title tags so that the user could easily change it without messing with the code. Sorry if I’m still unclear, but thanks for your help. I’m wondering if I just put some WordPress-specific tags in a given div and WordPress knows to just fills the divs with you blog pots. Thanks again.

# December 14, 2011 at 4:00 am

The codex is your friend: http://codex.wordpress.org/

# December 14, 2011 at 10:50 am

Perfect. Thank you so much!

# December 14, 2011 at 11:03 am

There are lots and lots and lots of functions. Would be near impossible to go through them all in a summary reply.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".