Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Starting over from scratch…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    iamaw

Since I’m still a CSS newb and Im not yet perfect with my coding…
    I often times find myself working on a website and Ill suddenly find a better way to do what I’m trying to do… but it requires a lot of tweaking and changing of the CSS and markup that I already have. So I decide it might be a better idea to just start all over again from scratch and use what I already created as a guideline for the second attempt.

My CSS ends up being a hell of a lot cleaner, easier to understand and much more efficient this way.
    It’s become so common of me to do this that I actually name my project folders numerically now… I start with "1" and then continue to "2", "3" sometimes even "4" until the project is complete.

Does anyone else ever just start over like this? Or do you tend to just tweak and tweak until you get what you want?
    Maybe this is a dumb question, but I’d like to know how others go about dealing with their project management…

Cheers,
    Alex.

koewnet

Yes, I do it all the time. I’ve dubbed it "Progressive CSS Enhancement". I usually go about it this way:

1. CSS inside <style> in <head>, local document[/*:m]
    2. CSS moved to a separate CSS file and fetched through a <link href="">-tag, local document[/*:m]
    3. Deeper browser tests (through browsershots and the like)), external document (uploaded on a server)[/*:m]
    4. Tweaks/filters and CSS shorthand-conversion, external document[/*:m][/list:o]

It really helps if you’ve got one or more CSS cheat sheets. Still, it’s tomato/tomato, eh?

iamaw
    "Edwin" wrote:
    I don’t go so far till folder 4, but recently with a redesign I created a second folder indeed and started from blank again. I think the most important thing is that you have a good structure in your xhtml and then it’s less work to make a new css-file.

Yes exactly, redoing what you already have (even if its just the slightest bit out of whack) makes for a much better final product. You tend to notice better ways to do things as you’re redoing it, it’s sort of like reverse engineering on something you’ve already created. As koewnet mentioned it’s a great progressive enhancement :).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.