Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Space from sticky footer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    johnjf

I’m using sticky footer in my design and for some reason there is a big space from my content to the footer. What might the problem be? I went over my css for sticky footer and it matches everything. I made sure to check if it was a problem with padding or margin and nothing wrong there.

mwdewitt

I actually have the same problem on the website I am currently working on, here. I found that if I take away the added margin on one of the objects, it puts everything back to normal in my own browser, but someone with Opera piped up and said that my footer was covering some of my content. So, I believe you did everything right. It is just that some browsers act differently. Thus far, I have just dealt with it.

yashrg

Do you know the concept of collapsing margins?

johnjf

no not really? here is a pic of what it looks like Image

Senff
    Participant

@johnjf A link to your site would help, we can’t help out much with just a screenshot

@mwdewitt
    your markup is probably missing some closing tags — your

and MAIN-COL are part of the

, I’m not sure if that’s what you intended…..

You can get rid of the spacing by changing margin-top:-250px; to top:-250px; though, since it’s positioned relative. Then there will be some spacing at the bottom but I think that’s because of the first issue(s) I mentioned.

johnjf

my site here’s the link

Vermaas
    Participant

It’s because of the .end_footer_ad. It isn’t displayed but it takes some space. Just the space you meant. Not sure why you need this Google advertisement on your website if you’re a designer yourself.

By the way, why use a sticky footer this way? And what do you mean with sticky? If you want a sticky footer try this:

.sticky_footer {
    position: fixed;
    width: 100%;
    bottom: 0;
    }

johnjf

hey right on @Vermaas. It was that stupid google adsense plugin I forgot to remove. I was doing a test with it couple weeks ago and forgot to remove it. Once I turned that off and removed the plugin, it worked like a charm.

Thanks everyone for the help :D

Vermaas
    Participant

@jognjf: nice :)!

DennisSmolek

I’m having the same issue.
    There’s a large space between the end of my content and the footer.
    If I give the body a border I can see that the body is correctly limiting to the height of the window but the HTML is going past it. I can’t figure out why.

Link: http://dk.zodiachq.com/profile/

Vermaas
    Participant

Try to use float instead of using the block-level property of an HTML element. Well do not try this, do it! You’ll see that the styling of your HTML is a lot easier with the use of float on the HTML elements.

Because you don’t use float, you’ve got this issue. Do a float (like: float: left;) on the main header, on the clearfix and the footer and try to style everything again.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.