Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Some General questions about responsive design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Krish1980
    Participant

I have an off tomorrow,and will be home, so I’ll be taking my first steps towards responsive design.(was unsure, skeptical till now, but this step seems inevitable if I don’t wish to become redundant in the web design field)

What would be some good reference sites for a start, to create something from scratch ? The site/sites should also have good references and suggestions to seamlessly guide towards more complex layouts.

Some skeptical questions (of course, taken off another blog).

**Part1**

_”Responsive web design resizes images to the mobile device’s screen. The full image is downloaded on a mobile device and resized to fit the screen. This consumes unnecessary CPU and RAM.”_

_”Mobile users usually have less speed compared to desktop users. Responsive design does not remove any code that may not be used. The unnecessary JavaScript or HTML code is not removed and is still downloaded. This makes the site slower. “_

_”Responsive web design relies heavily on CSS media queries to be compatible on a wide range of devices. However, most mobile devices are not compatible with CSS media queries. “_

_”Responsive Web Design resizes the website to fit the device and does not use key mobile features like the geolocation, gestures, hardware limitations, etc. as those features are not available on desktop devices.”_
    (to be frank, I did not even understand this point)

_”Mobile versions of a website include smaller images, less HTML, less JavaScript and less CSS. They are made with the full requirements, resolutions and speed of the specific device in mind.”_

_”The largest downfall of responsive design is just considering all of the options every time something new is added to the website. It can lead to unknown development costs down the road.”_

Are the above statements true? If so, wouldn’t a mobile specific site be better? If not, what are the good counter arguments in favor of responsive design vs mobile devices on these specific points primarily, and also , in general?

**Part2**

Does responsive design have alternatives for pop ups, modal boxes, drop downs and mega menus? What about sliders, zoomers and other such fancy jquery effects? (most eCommerce clients , at least the ones who have approached the place I work, ask for these things – the last time I checked, even big sites like mywardrobe and H&M(this may have changed though) did no have a site that adapted for mobiles).

If you are to create a website like H&M, mywardrobe or Flipkart(www.flipkart.com) [they have a separate mobile version], does responsive design provide the tools to create such sites, and make them easy to maintain?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.