Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] how do you skin the vanilla forum?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    silverlulu
    Participant

Hi,

Obvioulsy Chris is now using Vanilla as a forum. i saw how to skin phpbb, but i am looking to skin the vanilla forum now…

there are a few tutorials but they are out of date. they tell you to look for head.php, foot.php in the theme folder, but they are not there in the new version of vanilla forum.

so i would really like to know if someone had skinned the vanilla forum recentlty, and if so, how do you do it?

* Chris if you could do a screencast on this topic it might make you the coolest guy on the planet *

thanks loads in advance

Andy Staple
    Participant

I’ve done a couple for clients. Its quite easy once you get the master views sorted out.

Vanillas Documentation should be more than you need to get it done
    http://vanillaforums.org/page/ThemeQuickStart

silverlulu
    Participant

Do you know what Andy? You are an absolute hero!

Thanks for that dude. I really appreciate that. I used that information, combined with experience from skinning phpbb to get there with a lot of trial and error ;)

I have managed to incorporate in to this website http://www.fifanews.co.uk

Thanks Andy – have a great weekend! xxx

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

The process I used for this was super similar to what I did with phpBB. Just wrap the outsides with the header and footer of the rest of my site, load up my own CSS and JS files, deal with any conflicts, and call it a day. Now there is plenty more I need to do, but the out-of-the-box Vanilla Forums is pretty great. And the blue-ness is working fine with my new design.

doobie

Hey Chris,

In your “Howdy Box”, how did you echo the username? Can’t figure it out for the life of me.

Thanks man,
    Jacob

doobie

Nevermind, I’m a dummy. Vanilla is toooo easy!

soap
    Participant

No wait, how DO you echo the username? PHP doesn’t seem to work on the .tpl pages.

dudecha

deleted

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.