Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] Hiding h1 in IE Using display:none or text-indent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ranger

Hey everyone,
    I think this should be a fairly simple issue, but I can’t seem to find a suitable answer around the ‘nets.
    so,
    I’m trying to hide the header that reads "The Ryan Gregson Web-log" that shows up in orange in IE (not the image with the same caption above)
    I can get it to disappear in firefox using the display: none, and the text-indent: -9999px, but neither work in IE. What to do?
    this is done in wordpress, btw, playing with the whiteboard theme.

here’s the site:

http://www.ryangregson.com/blog
    the site is kinda lame, I know, i’m just learning.

here’s some code where the problem should be:
    this is code from the header.php. the wrapper and container divs are closed in the footer.php.

Code:

and here’s the CSS

Code:
    #maincol { width: 460px; float: left;padding-left: 50px;padding-top: 50px;}
    body {margin: 0px auto;background: black;}
    #topthing{width: 1400px; height: 338px; background: url(/blog/wp-content/themes/whiteboard/images/myheader.jpg) black; margin: 0px auto;}
    #topthing a{
    margin: 0 auto;
    padding-top: 100px;
    display: block;
    width: 700px;
    height: 200px;
    }
    h1#logo{display: none; /*text-indent: -9999px;*/}

#container{width: 1400px;background: url(/blog/wp-content/themes/whiteboard/images/middle.jpg) repeat-y;margin: 0px auto;}
    #wrapper{width: 700px; margin: 0px auto;}

any help would be appreciated, thanks!

also I just ran the Validator, and it came up with this response which could be relevant, but honestly, this is not direct enough for me to be helpful:

Line 79, Column 3: unclosed start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES

<h1 id="logo"><a href="http://www.ryangregson.com/blog/">The Ryan Gregson Web-

?

The construct <foo<bar> is valid in HTML (it is an example of the rather obscure “Shorttags” feature) but its use is not recommended. In most cases, this is a typo that you will want to fix. If you really want to use shorttags, be aware that they are not well implemented by browsers.

TheDoc

It’s because you’re using the wrong term! It can get a little confusing with text because so many things sound the same, but this is what you’re looking for:

text-indent: -9999px;

Ranger

that would be it, but I actually just accidently used the term "align" instead of indent on this post, not in the actual code. I’ve since edited this post to be more accurate.

TheDoc

Perhaps because you have it commented out?

h1#logo{display: none; /*text-indent: -9999px;*/}

Ranger

okay, apparently i’ve made this more complicated than I intended.
    for intents and purposes we will ignore the display:none method, and just focus on the text-indent method.
    here’s the new css code with the same results as before.

Code:
    h1#logo{text-indent: -9999px;}
    TheDoc

aaahhhh

Try:

h1#logo a { text-indent:-9999px; }

Ranger

aargh. that’s not doing it. not in IE.

vincent

Wrap the text in a span, so:

HTML

CSS

Code:
    #logo a {display:block;height:xxxpx;width:xxxpx;} Width and height of the image you are using as the link.
    #logo a span {visibility:hidden;}

I didn’t try it in IE. I will in like two hours if you haven’t found the solution yet.

It appears that your opening "wrapper" div tag is missing the closing bracket. In your header.php:

Code:

Should be:

Code:

That may or may not fix your problem in IE, but it should certainly be a start, and will definitely fix the validation error! :)

Ranger

Wow, that sure did it. Good eye! thanks everyone for sticking with me on that.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.