Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Sitemaps

• # July 19, 2008 at 1:14 pm

Who uses them? Who doesn’t?

If so, do you manually create them, or use a sitemap generator?
    If using a generator, any suggestions on a good one?

o-d
    # July 19, 2008 at 4:56 pm

i often use sitemaps. i prefer using plugins if the is wordpress. And if its another script i prefer using gsitemap generator programme. which you can found here => http://gsitecrawler.com/

pab
    # July 19, 2008 at 11:51 pm

i use them, I usually create them from scratch.

but I just finished a wordpress theme and I’m very interested in using their plug in

is it as simple as plugin it in or do I have to to google and submit it like any other sitemap?

# July 20, 2008 at 8:27 am

I’ve never used them, because most of the time my websites aren’t that complex. Just a couple of pages and then it’s not necessary I think.

# July 21, 2008 at 11:15 pm

Are you talking about a sitemap in XML format that you provide so search bots can find every nook and crany of your site? I do support the use of those. If Google provides documentation on using and creating them, I’m sure its for a good reason and they should be used when possible. Especially on pages with lots and lots of content. For the blog portion of this site, I use a WordPress plugin that does it automatically for me, which is awesome.

And then there are traditional site maps which are just pages on a site that list every page on the site for saavy or curious visitors to drill down right where they need to get quickly. This is tricky territory, as a page with that many links on it can look awfully intimidating and be counter-productive.

Check out this pretty slick looking CSS sitemap:
    http://wordpress.betech.virginia.edu/ex … olate.html

pab
    # July 21, 2008 at 11:41 pm

I do think he meant xml sitemap. not sure tho.

that css sitemap looks great saw it a while ago, there’s another one i saw that was really well done design wise, i’ll try to find the link

*edit found what i was looking for

thanks

Pab

# July 24, 2008 at 12:35 am

Yeah, I was refering to the use of XML sitemaps.

I agree, sitemaps for view on a website can often times looks intimidating, especially when it contains no design and just a bunch of small sized, blue underlined text!

I checked out a few programs that automate it, so I’ll stick with those… just some good ole SEO i guess!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".