Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Site in a hurry…

  • # August 11, 2009 at 10:29 am

    This site was made for a sister company of the company I work for. It was one of those, "We need a new site sooner than ASAP, even though we knew we needed one for a long time."

    I may not have done the best job of explaining that, but I’m sure you all know what I mean. The only thing they gave me was the "VirtualHealth" logo in the corner, and told me to go crazy. It’s been an insane week and a half, but it finally went live yesterday.

    Anyway, this is one of my first top-to-bottom projects, and the more I learn the better. All tips and critiques are welcome.

    Enjoy!

    http://www.virtualhealthtechnologies.com

    # August 11, 2009 at 11:42 am

    I’m not actually able to view this, it is prompting a download of your index page.. anyone else having this issue? doesn’t seem like your server is handling the file correctly, what type of file is your index?

    secondly, I’m sure you put effort in to the flash movie but honestly, intro pages are generally bad ideas and detrimental to SEO. Nevermind of course that they decided not to go with it, you probably should have taken it out there and then ;-)

    Not only will google be upset with your page, but the client too !

    See if you can get it working, i doubt it is only me that can’t view it and I’ll comment further

    # August 11, 2009 at 11:54 am

    Thanks for the quick pointers, I definitely see your point…

    Try this and see if it’s any better.

    http://www.virtualhealthtechnologies.com/

    By the way, I did take the flash intro out of the REAL site, the original url I had posted was the test site. I would never leave something up against the clients wishes, lol!

    # August 11, 2009 at 12:09 pm
    "takeiteasy04" wrote:
    Thanks for the quick pointers, I definitely see your point…

    Try this and see if it’s any better.

    http://www.virtualhealthtechnologies.com/

    By the way, I did take the flash intro out of the REAL site, the original url I had posted was the test site. I would never leave something up against the clients wishes, lol!

    ah lol, I see :)

    Well overall, I think you have made an excellent job of it, I mean it really ticks a lot of boxes in my opinion.

    my one major concern is with the menu, for 2 reasons.

    First being that the menu is breaking onto a second line. The last link is below the first one wrapping, at least in safari and firefox. so your container for your menu is either too small or the text is too big, either way it’s faulty at the moment.

    the other concern i have is with the logo, clearly being outside of the central container, as its hard aligned to the left of the screen.

    I’d prefer that to sit left aligned within what is the 960px container. Someone will be able to correct me on this, but im pretty sure you cant assign min-width to the body, wrap your entire content in a 960px container div to achieve the same effect.

    I might have been on purpose that you left the menu/logo fluid with the page width, but it’s definately not something i’d do since on a big wide screen its just going to look a bit bizarre.

    That was a bit of a ramble, other than those points the site looks pretty good, seems to be marked up to a good quality. I think it’s one you can definately be proud of !

    nice work :D

    # August 11, 2009 at 12:42 pm

    sorry dude……

    nav: white hover on those backgrounds. I cant see what I am hovering over…
    footer: logo over link – not good
    main banner: the scrolling text – very early HTML like…. frowned upon dude (it takes away a professionalism of a site like this)
    3 things in site under banner: colour scheme is mixed and not logically put together e.g. (red icon blue link), (blue link red icon) (blue icon blue link)
    About: the images could be smaller to use space better sort of like table-ing the page, blue background kills it here
    News: I would make a wordpress part here
    I looked at the rest…. the main "products" I think could be added to a main category and breifly discussed e.g. about then sub link in the main menu when access this page… therefore you don’t need the links in the main nav
    use your space better and get rid of the blue, it screams unprofessional in my opinion. health pages should be clean and feel clean.
    contact, have a form, this would give an apperance of professionalism, and if you need to have links to the "products" then don’t waste space on it.

    I have a 22" monitor and it all seemed to much centered & wasted space (I know I keep repeating myself, but its how I viewed it)

    footer, I would have something other than the main links here, its pointless to have it down there and at top, why not make your top part position:fixed and have the content part scroll under it if the page is longer?

    this is only my opinion and although some may not agree, its what you asked for, please don’t take it personal

    # August 11, 2009 at 3:50 pm

    White hover-over – what would you recommend? (Not being a smart-alec, really wanted to know a good choice, I was trying to stay in three colors (orange, blurple, white).

    Footer – Didn’t understand, was the logo in the footer covering the menu when you were looking at it?

    Scrolling text – thats part of a flash that the client specifically requested, every frame/image/text/transition was per the client’s request.

    3 tabs under the flash banner – Also, completely mocked up by client and requested to be EXACT, even down to the font styling.

    About: I agree that the images could be better, I wasn’t given very good quality images, which made them hard to crop out and retouch. I see your point with the colored background, that’s one thing that may end up changing.

    News: I’m not familiar with WordPress at all, but I’ll definitely look into it.

    The "Products" were originally under a single page called "Solutions". The client requested each of them to have their own page.

    I can see your point with the blue. This is actually the second version of this site. The first one was mainly white, but they said it created too much empty space. I had originally created a background image that really filled out the sides nicely and tastefully, but was told it was too "strong".

    – None of your comments were taken personally at all, you gave your feedback, which is exactly what I ask for. Thanks!

    # August 11, 2009 at 4:21 pm
    "takeiteasy04" wrote:
    White hover-over – what would you recommend? (Not being a smart-alec, really wanted to know a good choice, I was trying to stay in three colors (orange, blurple, white).

    I would go for a deeper orange or an underline… right now I like underlines, but thats me, but going a deeper orange could show a change, or why not have like a 10 pixel double gradiated (more white in centre fading out to transparent top & bottom) image to go behind the text in hover state???

    "takeiteasy04" wrote:
    Footer – Didn’t understand, was the logo in the footer covering the menu when you were looking at it?

    screenshot: http://www.honeycomb-web.co.uk/images/vh.jpg

    "takeiteasy04" wrote:
    Scrolling text – thats part of a flash that the client specifically requested, every frame/image/text/transition was per the client’s request.

    if client wanted it so be it…… but you can see my point???

    "takeiteasy04" wrote:
    3 tabs under the flash banner – Also, completely mocked up by client and requested to be EXACT, even down to the font styling.

    if client wanted it so be it….. try explaining that it may be better if it was uniformed, but you can see my point??? it took me ages to find why I disliked this part, when I put my finger on that it was not uniform it sticks out now. try suggesting red image blue fonts or vice versa, give them the option of changing ther minds to make it better

    "takeiteasy04" wrote:
    About: I agree that the images could be better, I wasn’t given very good quality images, which made them hard to crop out and retouch. I see your point with the colored background, that’s one thing that may end up changing.

    scale the images down with either photoshop, gimp or easythumbnails (free cool program that can batch).
    glad you agree on the colour of the background.

    "takeiteasy04" wrote:
    News: I’m not familiar with WordPress at all, but I’ll definitely look into it.

    it took me a month to get my head round it, but dude, you could make a mock of the site, then you break it up into bits, then add some php and really you have a fully operational template for all page that can add content & you clients can end up writing for the page and it looks the same. you can have your whole site in wordpress or just one directory, up to you, but this will save time in the end for maintenance on your part.

    "takeiteasy04" wrote:
    The "Products" were originally under a single page called "Solutions". The client requested each of them to have their own page.

    I love how clients think they know best, I had same problem with one of my clients, after 1 month they changed their minds to my way of thinking, now they tell me what they want & it is how I would do things, just remind them what would be best for keeping customers on the site.

    "takeiteasy04" wrote:
    I can see your point with the blue. This is actually the second version of this site. The first one was mainly white, but they said it created too much empty space. I had originally created a background image that really filled out the sides nicely and tastefully, but was told it was too "strong".

    well empty space is empty space, no matter what colour it is…. do you agree?
    here is something you can do to keep it in the colour scheme, a light orange as your main body background, and in your main area have that at a set width say 800px wide in the centre e.g.white background, so you will have like 2 orange columns at either side… just a thought

    "takeiteasy04" wrote:
    - None of your comments were taken personally at all, you gave your feedback, which is exactly what I ask for. Thanks!

    glad to be of service

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".