Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Site facelift – critiques?

• # October 28, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Hey guys,

I’m updating someone’s existing site found here: http://www.arizonaconcrete.com. The main thing they are after is having the website act primarily to get customers rather than just answer questions. So I’ve made it pretty alot of references to getting a quote or contacting. I also added the Anything Slider to replace tons and tons of pictures they wanted to put on there from a power point presentation.

Let me know what you think and if I can improve anything: http://www.citruscreativestudio.com/testcenter/azc

# October 28, 2009 at 6:39 pm

I think it’s a vast improvement, great job. One comment is the 3 buttons (Residential, Get a Quote, and Commercial) don’t change states when you hover over them. Consider using sprites to dynamically change the appearance on hover. Overall, excellent work!

# October 28, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Good call on that – totally slipped my mind. Thanks for the kind words also.

# October 28, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Wow, night and day. Looking great.

I would suggest giving an active state to the menu to tell the user "you are here." Just good dev standard in my book.

In "residential" remove some of the spacing between the form and the text just above it. A large gap like that seems like your setting the form apart from the text. When, in actuality, they are related.

In "services" your form is outside the boundaries of your container.

The input for Name is well below the Name label.

finally, any place that says to "contact us" it’s always good practice to make that a link to the contact page.

# October 29, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Hi there,
    the redesign is a great improvement. I like the higher contrast on the colors from the previous site.

-I would ad an image in your services page next to the bullet points. There is a lot of wasted space there. I suggest placing an image with some of the different tools you mention on the bullet points.

-I would place the header of the page in the middle (home, services, etc.). Right now they blend with the body text (In my opinion). Placing the header right below the star will make it easier to find and recognize what page you are on.

nice redesign!

# October 29, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Hmm interesting thought – I hadn’t considered centering that. I’ll give it a shot and see how it looks. Thanks for all the suggestions folks! This thing’ll look tip top in no time :)

Edit ** I’m not sure I see what you mean with "The input for Name is well below the Name label.". Are you seeing a mislabel with one of the forms? Maybe I’m just misunderstanding.

# October 29, 2009 at 8:34 pm

i’m using Chrome. This issue isnt seen in firefox or IE

# October 30, 2009 at 1:43 am

ah gotcha.. it was the width of the form that was causing it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".