Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Simple Ajax “CMS”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    VladimirKrstic
    Participant

Hello web workers,

I have almost finished a web site in plain html/css/js, no content is dynamically generated. But now i need to create a simple CMS, well CMS should be a huge word for this. I need to create form where you can type html mark up, send that html on a specific page and specific place on that page(like just after opening body tag) so that every next post will be on top of the page. Also i wish to create simple image upload form, nothing fancy just to be able to upload one picture in one sending operation to specific folder on my host. Can it be done with Ajax? I tried to search web for Ajax solutions but seems no one is talking about Ajax lately, and i don’t feel that for this simple task i shouldn’t use Php or Asp. I will appreciate if someone can explain process or point me to the resources that explain what i need. Even some really good Ajax book will be cool. On the other side can it be done with ASP or PHP? Are they simpler options to go? Some resources to do this with them?

Thank you.

jimmy
    Participant

As for the simpler options – yes, there are, I’d simply throw it in WordPress :D

I guess it’s definitely doable, but is it worth the hassle? If it was just an image upload – sure, I’d do something custom as well.

However, as soon as I would have thought of news/post roll I’d go with WordPress. It’s not an overkill, even for the sole purpose of the news loop. If you worry about complexity of WordPress for your client, pair it with permission plugin and give them their own special account with only the news/media access.

Well, maybe I’m jumping ahead, but I wonder why do you seek something custom instead of just going the safe, proven way? Is there a certain reason?

Like I said, if you worry about WordPress being an overkill for such a small feature, I’d not worry about it.

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

Thank you for the answer. People that will use it will find there way with WordPress i bet. I just find it to much to use WordPress probably I’m wrong. Also i have never used WordPress. So i can throw my “custom” site into WordPress and enrich him some WordPress functionality? This should be easy?

jimmy
    Participant

Ah, that changes a lot if you don’t know WordPress.

What I advise then – make your own PHP script for that, with post-adding form/panel and everything.

https://css-tricks.com/php-for-beginners-building-your-first-simple-cms/ – good start for that

Don’t want to use MySQL? – you can use [CutePHP](http://cutephp.com/ “CutePHP”) instead.

I hope it helps you in some way, but if you intend to make projects like this in the future I strongly suggest learning WordPress.

VladimirKrstic
    Participant

Thank you, ill check this tutorial. Probably will do it with PHP, MySql.

Cheers mate.

jimmy
    Participant

No problem, mate!

I’m glad I could help.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.