Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Should I use a CMS or MVC for this project?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hello Friends,

I just finished [almost] redesigning my site and shifting it to wordpress. It was awesome fun and I learned loads of new things in the process. Well, now I want to pursue another challenging task so that I can further increase my knowledge.

What I am aiming for my next project is to develope a website where users can browse through products and after becoming satisfied, they can register by paying a certain amount and then access the product in a special page and customize them. I did loads of research to start on this project but am still having some doubts. Hence, I came to the best place to clear my doubts :D

So here they are:

1. I so want to use WordPress to achieve this because of its flexible nature [and the great tutorials which Chris has posted here]. But as WordPress is more of a blogging platform than a proper CMS, I got confused whether it would be suitable enough.
    2. I have some experience with Joomla. I found it to be a very solid CMS with proper user registration/login systems and other stuffs but it lacks the flexibility which I found in WordPress. Thus, I got confused again whether to use Joomla or not.
    3. Codeignitor is a great tool for building customized web applications and CMSs. Am sure any kind of project can be built using it. But am not experienced in using it. Even if I build the site using the MVC framework then also I won’t be able to achieve the features and security already present in WordPress/Joomla. I would also be loosing on tons of plug-ins built by the communities of these two CMS.
    [/list:u]
    So basically, I might be sounding like a very confused person :? But I really need some tips from all you professionals. Am sure you guys have created loads of sites like this [ I know Chris has :P] and may be you can guide me in the right direction :)

Thank You,

~Sumeet Chawla

vincent

Have you used wp-ecommerce before?

No I have not but I downloaded it today itself. I got to know about it while researching :) The basic targets of my project are as follows:-

1. The user will basically come to get a website done.
    2. After registration and payment, the user will choose from existing templates
    3. After choosing the template, the user will get his own administration page where he can edit content, logo, headers for his website.
    Its basically like a cms within a cms. :|

TeMc
    "Sumeet Chawla" wrote:
    No I have not but I downloaded it today itself. I got to know about it while researching :) The basic targets of my project are as follows:-

1. The user will basically come to get a website done.
    2. After registration and payment, the user will choose from existing templates
    3. After choosing the template, the user will get his own administration page where he can edit content, logo, headers for his website.
    Its basically like a cms within a cms. :|

Have you heard of wp-mu ?

Google it :)

vincent

WordPress MU with BuddyPress would be good. That’s what I use. Then, use wp-ecommerce for the payment part. I haven’t done exactly what you are doing, but I know if you wanted to achieve it with WordPress, those are the 3 things you would use.

ah ha!! Thanks a ton guys! I totally forgot about wp mu lol.. I read about it while reading the feature details at wpwebhost. Ok, I will look into it further and ask you guys if I face any kind of a problem :) Thanks a ton again :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.