Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Should I even bother supporting IE6?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    kt1ao

Hello everyone!

Just a quick question. I’ve been working on some projects and for the most part everything works fine in IE7 and above and great in Safari and Firefox. My question is IE6 is usually where my problems happen. Messed up divs, navigation menus not stacking right, etc. I’m not a CSS/HTML wiz but I do have a decent grasp but sometimes I just want to forget about IE6.

I figure with the release of IE 8 beta (or whatever it is now) and most people who run windows they should have done updates by now. If a majority of viewers are using those version would it be okay to just give IE6 the finger and move on?

Thanks for any responses.

Cheers!
    Kyle

p.s. my first post btw so please be kind :D

I think it kind of depends on your audience… I just did a site for a hotel and it just so happens that all the employees use ie6.. not to mention most of the people that will be going there are from an older generation and are more likely to have an outdated browser.

I think moving progressively is generally the way to go. Make it WORK in ie6, but don’t spend too much time pixel pushing and replicating the design exactly. If you have to get rid of a drop shadow here and a gradient here but the user can still see the main content of the page… then whatever.

apostrophe
    Participant

It really depends on your target audience. I stand to be corrected but I believe IE6 is still widely used in parts of Asia and I know for certain that a lot of large corporations are still locked into IE6 for all sorts of obscure IT reasons.

So, do your research before you build your site. If it’s client work, then let the client decide and charge accordingly.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Just set it and forget it:

Code:
    TheDoc
    "chriscoyier" wrote:
    Just set it and forget it:

Code:

I have seen this come up a bit recently but haven’t looked into it.

Just did a quick Google search… yowza this is sweet. Why wasn’t there huge banners on every corner of the world explaining this triumph. Google = awesome.

I have heard that the IE7.js doesnt work great with cms’ but I haven’t tried it :P

Rob MacKay
    Participant
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    Just did a quick Google search… yowza this is sweet. Why wasn’t there huge banners on every corner of the world explaining this triumph. Google = awesome.

I think its actually written by some dude, and hosted on google code… I dont think its actually google who wrote it…

kt1ao

Thank you all for the responses. This was great.

My client is very clueless about anything web related and the sites we are working on are for small local companies with low expected hits. But I guess it’s always good to just write clean code and just adjust and fix for IE6 to have all your bases covered. Can’t wait for the day that IE6 is just a memory.

Thanks again,

Kyle

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.