Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Should I Care About Making My Site Fit on 1024×768 Resolution?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

My website fits normally on all resolutions above 1024×768. But it does not entirely fit on that resolution or bellow. Should i go the extra mile to make my website compatible on that resolution as well? or does barely anyone have that resolution?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sadly enough, way too many use resolutions like 1024×768, and even lower.
    Company computers, cellphones, iPad and so on.
    If it’s a big problem for you to redesign it, I would go with it as-is and check screen sizes with Google Analytics too see what screen sizes your users uses.

Otherwise, a pair of media-queries should do the job!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@limex it actually fits perfectly fine on all smartphones and tablets. But i’m not sure if its worth making it fit on 1024×768

chrisburton
    Participant

You should just do something like

.page-wrap {
    width: 100%;
    max-width: 1024px;
    }

this way it degrades gracefully. From there, you would just fix the issues via media queries.

Andy Howells
    Participant

Are you using fixed widths at different breakpoints?

Realistically the smartest way to build responsively is to use percentage based widths and simply (as @chrisburton said) stick a max-width on for the top end.

That way you’re ensuring it will look tasty on all screen sizes, rather than just suiting particular ones.

__
    Participant

> it actually fits perfectly fine on all smartphones and tablets. But i’m not sure if its worth making it fit on 1024×768

@Jarolin – I’m not sure I follow that statement. There are plenty of smartphones (even some tablets) that are smaller than 1024×768…?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@traq Well i used browserstack.com and tested it on most android devices and iphones, and the website fits fine on all. i’m not sure how but it does.

__
    Participant

probably just “zoomed out” (many tablets will do that by default unless you specify how the site should be viewed on mobile devices).

Opera has [a good introduction](http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/an-introduction-to-meta-viewport-and-viewport/) to these concepts.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The body frame of my site is 1000px. Is that too much?

Paulie_D

>The body frame of my site is 1000px. Is that too much?

Why are you still using px? Make the frame a percentage of the viewport, let the browser render it for the device adjusting for device widths with media queries.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.