Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Shot in the dark… wash denim that is.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

New York is very diverse so you see a lot of different trends (prep, grunge, hipster, high end designer, low end, etc). It’s not out of the ordinary anymore to see people wearing jeans in the work place but people still perceive those as “not serious”. Even the The White House tech staff are allowed to wear jeans. I guess it’s just polite to wear a suit in certain circumstances, especially in business overseas where cultures differ. I just find slacks and chinos more comfortable. And you can go casual or professional easily.

nixnerd
    Participant

I’ve never lived in New York. But, I’m sure among younger people, I’d be fine.

…still perceive those as “not serious”

I guess that’s the difference. You will still be viewed as totally serious here.

Chinos are really freaking awesome. I had a sweet pair last year that I tore. Really pissed me off. They are super comfortable, just not quite as versatile for my lifestyle. And… they stain easy. Kids + chinos = no bueno.

chrisburton
    Participant

I’ve never lived in New York. But, I’m sure among younger people, I’d be fine.

You would be just fine regardless. New York is very diverse.

Chinos are really freaking awesome.

Below is my perfect fit for chinos and slacks. My jeans are slightly more loose. I mean, try bending your knee in jeans that tight — ouch!

nixnerd
    Participant

That’s actually the way the 510’s fit. I agree with you that it’s way too skinny for denim. I still have like 3 pairs that don’t get worn… ever.

chrisburton
    Participant

Now you just need to make a haircut inspiration thread and we’ll never get anything done ;).

nixnerd
    Participant

@chrisburton I found the perfect pair of jeans dude. I’m done with those Levis 501s. They just don’t fit the bill. I guess I’m down to spend a bit more and get what I pay for.

Went into Nordstrom today and tried on the Naked and Famous Skinny Guys in Broken Twill. Will for sure get a heavier denim but I love the wash:

Skinny/very slim – Check
    Straight leg – Check

Look at those stacks dude. Even with a cuff, they stack for days. I love them so much! Probably going to order a heavier pair.

Now you just need to make a haircut inspiration thread and we’ll never get anything done ;).

Don’t even get me started. Been experimenting a lot lately. Last time went with a high 0 fade long on top, left side part… shaved in. It was super sick but I don’t know if I want the same thing. I don’t like a SUPER tight fade with a big beard. Can look awkward if not executed to perfection.

nixnerd
    Participant

BTW… please excuse these ridiculous sneakers. These jeans will look much better with Jordans. No idea why I’m obsessed with those lately but I am. Childhood memories I suppose.

chrisburton
    Participant

That’s a great fit! Just remember that they will slightly shrink unless you have them dry-cleaned.

I don’t like a SUPER tight fade with a big beard. Can look awkward if not executed to perfection.

You just need to find a really really great barber

nixnerd
    Participant

You just need to find a really really great barber

I’ve got a sick barbershop I’ve been going to for years. It’s all about getting the beard right… and part of that is on me. I don’t ever let anyone trim the edges of my beard. I’m REALLY particular about it.

That dudes fade actually looks pretty sweet. I would maybe get the beard thinned out a bit more aggressively down the cheek but not MUCH more. That part looks positively sick but I’ve found with the cut-in part that if you’re not willing to keep it up… it has an awkward period while growing it back out. My hair is long enough now that it can hold a really clean part… so I won’t bother next time.

nixnerd
    Participant

That’s a great fit! Just remember that they will slightly shrink unless you have them dry-cleaned.

Here’s the funky thing about raw denim… You’re supposed to wear your jeans every day for 1 year without washing. Sounds crazy as hell right? Apparently everyone swears by it. And… I’ve seen the fade pics to prove it. There’s a few tricks to keep them from getting too nasty. But yeah, these denim heads swear by it.

I’m actually more worried about stretching… but maybe that’s unfounded. Heavier denims shouldn’t stretch THAT much.

nixnerd
    Participant

You’re supposed to wear your jeans every day for 1 year without washing.

Also, it should be noted… I don’t really have a problem with this. I mean… I like shorts, but not that much. Also, as much as I like chinos, if given the choice I’d probably wear jeans. Since I work from home, none of this is a real problem.

chrisburton
    Participant

beard thinned out a bit more aggressively down the cheek

Agreed. It should fade in where the sideburns begin.

Here’s the funky thing about raw denim… You’re supposed to wear your jeans every day for 1 year without washing. Sounds crazy as hell right? Apparently everyone swears by it. And… I’ve seen the fade pics to prove it. There’s a few tricks to keep them from getting too nasty. But yeah, these denim heads swear by it.

You’re absolutely right and I’ve read that before. I believe I’ve even seen some executive from Levi Strauss talk about how he never washes his. By the way, I hope you can periodically post shots of the progress.

nixnerd
    Participant

I think I might grow my hair a tad longer because the epicness of this look is almost too much to handle:

That dude’s stache is unreal. Only time will tell if mine can be that cool.

chrisburton
    Participant

That is a pretty sweet undercut. You should subscribe to Slikhaar on Ytube. Occasionally they have something decent.

nixnerd
    Participant

I believe I’ve even seen some executive from Levi Strauss talk about how he never washes his.

Yeah totally… it made the news. People flipped.

I hope you can periodically post shots of the progress.

I will keep this thread (even though I said it was dead) as the place to post progress pics for sure! I think the way it works is, you can definitely see progressive fading. No doubt about the fact that they get better with time. But it’s after their first real wash that you see them in SUPER high contrast.

That is a pretty sweet undercut.

That it is… and I like the idea of something besides a super tight fade for winter. More hair on the head is never bad in that situation.

You should subscribe to Slikhaar on Ytube. Occasionally they have something decent.

I will for sure.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.