Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Serving Up a WordPress Site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rctonnie

So, I’ve been in the habit of creating WP sites entirely on my local with MAMP. Great!

And, when I serve them up finally to a domain, I basically follow the steps in Chris’s screencast on this site.

However, one thing that has never worked for me is, all of the dynamic content that I create on the WP backend (pages, navigation, products, etc) … isn’t on the plate when I serve up the site. All of my corresponding PHP files go up there, but the WP backend has no page, no custom navs, etc, in the backend.

Is there a way to serve up a brand new WP site from local and have all of these backend-developed things go with it?

Any help with this would be so awesomely appreciated, I’m about to serve up a site with 20 or so pages and 3 menus :/

Thank you!

rctonnie

Still an unsolved mystery for me. :(

Senff
    Participant

Not sure if it’s part of the screencast you mention, but do you transfer your database from your local to your server?

Bonzai
    Participant

All the of the data for pages, menus, posts and media aren’t saved on any of the wordpress theme folders, but on the SQL database. So you can either export the local database and upload it to the new one or use the import / export tools under the “Tools” menu to move the content for you.

nunotmp

When uploading the theme files no content is included. All post, pages, categories, etc. are saved to your database. You can export the xml file under tools>export, export the database from phpmyadmin, or use a plugin such as Backup Buddy

rctonnie

This is very helpful! Going to try this on my next deployment. I had used SequelPro to export the database as shown in the screencast, but for whatever reason that didn’t do the trick ( I probably screwed something up ).

Deploying another one sometime this week. Thank you for the tips.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.