Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

SEO of new website

• # March 19, 2010 at 11:13 am

I have recently created a website and bought a domain. I am a complete noob at SEO. I literally don’t know anything about it. I was reading up about it today and brushed over something called a "sandbox" which you are in until your website is older than 6-8 months. Does this mean that I won’t be able to be searched at all? And is there a way of speeding up this process?

# March 19, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Six to eight months? I have heard of no such thing.

We have a testing "sandbox" here at the office, but other than that I’m not quite sure what you’re referring to.

# March 19, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Sign up for Google Webmaster Tools where you can submit your site and get all sorts of information. You need to put a key code that they verify in your head section, but you will get crawled really quickly. Yahoo has the same sort of thing.

I Googled for sandbox as this article came up, read the links too
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_effect

# March 19, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Lol I don’t know what I am talking about, the site must have been a bad site.
    How long does it usually take to get listed on google properly if you have a new website and new domain name? And what exactly is a testing sandbox?

Edit: Hey Virtual, thanks, just saw your post now. I must have not refreshed the page or something.

# March 19, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Hmmmm, I have the XML Sitemap plugin running in wordpress. Do you know if I still have to submit the site through Google Webmasters Tools or does it somehow do it automatically?

# March 21, 2010 at 7:10 am

I’m not sure about WordPress plugins, I submitted my sitemap when I verified the site. Read this
    http://www.google.com/support/webmaster … wer=156184

To answer the other question, a testing sandbox is where you use a local server rather than a live server to test code like PHP.

P.S. My hubby is ZA from Jo’burg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".