Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

SEO and hidden keywords

• # February 18, 2010 at 1:01 pm

A client of mine just sent me a Word document with apparently nothing in it. In fact it is filled with hidden keywords which have been reduced in size so as to appear invisible. He said a friend of his had put this on his site and shot to the top of the first page in Google, and of course he asked me to copy and paste the text onto his site.

I replied that I would advise against doing this as he could get banned by Google. Have any of you come across this and would you advise against it?

# February 18, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Worst idea ever.

If it is just a huge list of hidden words in the body text, not only is it rather unethical (imo) but Google will undoubtedly catch it and ban the site.

If you want to put all of the text into the <meta keyword> area then go for it, but it probably won’t help much.

# February 18, 2010 at 1:54 pm

That’s what I thought, he says it’s invisible, but so is white text on a white background but a bot can still see it. He says some of his friends have had it on their sites for years with no problems. If it was that easy IMO everyone would be doing it, including all the SEO guys who charge an arm and a leg for their services.
    Meta tag keywords are a waste of time.

# February 18, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Definitely would steer clear of this one, its Black Hat SEO and will result in the user being banned from Google. I’m not certain but would think that Google’s robots are clever enough to work out when someone is trying to hide text on a webpage.

With regards to Meta Keywords, they are useless in the fact that they are not used for rankings, however they can be helpful in categorising your website

# February 18, 2010 at 5:09 pm

That’s one of the oldest Black Hat SEO tricks in the book, and Google already knows about it.

Go ahead, tell your client to mess with Google and he’ll end up being nothing in the Internet. Yes, Google rules the Internet… and we all have to abide by its rules.

Also, ask your client to ask his friend for the URL (URI) of his site so you can check out the code and see for yourself how he ‘supposedly’ pulled it off. If he did, he might’ve probably pulled it off more than 10 years ago.

Have your client’s friend also provide some web analytics of his site, if he really got shot to the first page of Google’s search results, the increase in traffic should be very noticeable.

Also, by knowing the URI of your client’s friend you can see what market he’s actually trying to reach, if he has a business that sells "custom silver patches for overheated tractors during full moon and platypus growing season" then he did probably make it to the first page of Google… because there’s no one in the entire planet with a website like that, only he, so there’s no competition, hence, the first place.

See what I mean? ^_^

# February 18, 2010 at 6:03 pm

@rzea
    Thanks for the laugh, that cracked me up. Actually the friend is an organic steam cleaner and does appear on the first page of Google if you look for "organic" steam cleaners in his city. I looked for steam cleaners in the same city without the organic and he still wasn’t showing up at page 10. So kudos on that, you hit the nail on the head.

I did Ctrl+A and pasted into Word and increased the text size and could not see the invisible keywords. I could not see it in the source code either, there were a couple of empty p tags but even changing the color in css didn’t show anything. The whole thing is in tables anyway so probably not too modern.

# February 18, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I have no idea what an ‘organic’ steam cleaner is, and would only search for ‘steam cleaner’ in his city, as, I am guessing, would most people. Therefore he’s got his optimisation all wrong as he is limiting his audience!

# February 18, 2010 at 8:54 pm

First things first.

WTF is an organic steam cleaner? o_O lol

Secondary things, second.

Quote:
    …if you look for "organic" steam cleaners in his city.

Well, you have to tell us the city ^_^

I looked for "organic steam cleaners" and there are only 104.000 (three zeroes) results competing for that keyword… ¬¬, seriously. Try competing for "stock photos"… 241 million results, that’s SIX ZEROES!

For you to see the small hidden text in his site all you have to do is CTRL+A the page, everything will be selected with blue background and white text (only background images won’t be selected).

Anyway, tell your client: "Mr. Client, let’s assume you never asked me that question, trust me, you’re not in the organic steam cleaners business", lol.

# February 19, 2010 at 9:54 am
    Quote:
    They have hidden their important keywords in their home page as well as inside pages and when we make a search for a keyword "ACSR conductors"

Crappy looking website that, amazing that Google hasn’t caught them.

Check this out
    ht tp://ww w.organicsteam-clean.com/index.php

# February 19, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Ok, several things.

About www . organicsteam-clean . com (I deliberately broke the link so he doesn’t get any more incoming links from respectable sites, css-tricks.com in this case), they’ve been around only 3 months, yes, they purchased the domain in November 9 of 2009. However, they could be less then 3 months on the web since some people purchase the domain and a few weeks later the site is launched.

Here’s their whois info (And yes, posting his info here is legal since everyone who owns a domain has their information available to the public):

Registrant:
    Rotovac Corporation

17905 Bothell Everett Hwy
    Mill Creek, Washington 98012
    United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc.
    Domain Name: ORGANICSTEAM-CLEAN.COM
    Created on: 25-Nov-09
    Expires on: 25-Nov-11
    Last Updated on: 07-Jan-10

And finally, about www . organicsteam-clean . com, I need to laugh: HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHA!!!

lol, the reason I did that was because it’s incredible how they stuffed that page with keywords, zip codes and cities, hehe.

I assume is a matter of time before something goes wrong with that site. I sure hope so :twisted:

As for the website for "ACSR conductors", the website I suppose you’re referring to is any of these two: www .acsrconductor. com or www .patelwire. com.

If it is one of those sites, I do see an intention of hiding words, just CTRL+A and you’ll the words "ACSR ACSR" only a few times, nothing compared to the sh!t-load of stuffed keywords from the organic site, hehe.

Looking at their whois info, yes, they’ve been around for a long time, 9 and a half years:

Registrant:
    Patel Wire Industries

Plot 3, Ground Floor
    Keluskar Road, Shivaji Park
    Mumbai, Maharashtra 400028
    India

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc.
    Domain Name: ACSRCONDUCTOR.COM
    Created on: 09-Jun-03
    Expires on: 09-Jun-10
    Last Updated on: 09-Jun-09

Now, if that’s not the site, I just wasted my time, lol :P .

Anyway, although a VERY ugly website, I don’t think they’re doing any keyword stuffing. The "organic-stuffing" site beats anyone, relol :lol:

What a waste of time and energy from those people building those sites, dang.

L8r!

# February 19, 2010 at 1:09 pm

The steam clean keywords deal is what my client wants me to add to his site, and believe me I did not have anything to do with that steaming clean piece of sh**.
    However, whether it be one or the other, they are both using black hat SEO. So I am wondering why should one get away with it and not the other? My client’s friend, the steam clean guy did not say his site had been around a long time, just that he had gotten that trick from other people who have been doing it and getting away with it for years.

# February 20, 2010 at 1:44 pm

@virtual

OMFG, that http://www.organicsteam-clean.com/index.php website needs to get caught, lol just below the green text, there’s thousands of small white keywords.

Look people:

# March 10, 2010 at 12:45 pm

In regards to our customers website, http://www. organicsteam-clean .com we allow them to edit any of the meta tags and content of their own websites. The website was built to the specifications of the client and from there they have full access to change any content they want 24/7. I agree that the tactics that they are using should be caught by google and know that Rotovac did not setup his website with black hat SEO tactics. I just thought I should clear that up.

-Rotovac Web Dept.

# March 17, 2010 at 8:52 am

Would this be considered Blackhat SEO?
    http://www. pointclickshoot .com

These are keywords related to the site and it’s services.The site was created to use an AJAX-based navigation system so that the user never has to refresh the website to see the content, which in turn ended up not being SEO-friendly.

# July 9, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Google just updated their algorithm and I wouldn’t advise doing this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Penguin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".