Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Sending Concept Tips

• # February 22, 2012 at 10:37 am

Hi all, don’t know who has tips for sending out concept designs.

Currently we do awesome web design concepts in photoshop to send out but when saving we obviously have to save in terms of file size but the problem I have is that it always damages image quality when sending to the customer.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks that they use to send concepts in a lightweight way without sacrificing too much on the quality front?

# February 22, 2012 at 11:00 am

Convert to PDF?

# February 22, 2012 at 11:08 am

PDF’s are also pretty chunky in terms of size for emailing if you retain high quality and don’t compress.

# February 22, 2012 at 11:44 am

You are always going to have an issue with quality vs. file size. Why would you not compress?

A zip file of a PDF will save something in the order of 10% and every little bit counts.

Have you considered a public Dropbox folder rather than sending via email?

# February 22, 2012 at 11:49 am

Dropbox is fine too but it’s a bit laborious for the customers involved, I sometimes use YouSendIt or upload to my site and send them a link, but it’s such a pain to send a good quality image without them having to download a huge file.

# February 22, 2012 at 12:00 pm

You’ll have to weigh the pros vs the cons of:

1. smaller file size
    2. better image quality
    3. ease of use

In general, I would say that you have to pick any 2 of them and sacrifice the 3rd.

If 1 and 2 are most important, use a PDF (with some compression) with Dropbox or Basecamp.
    If 1 and 3 are most important, use a JPG and email or YouSendIt or put on your site.
    If 2 and 3 are most important, use a PDF (with no compression) and YouSendIt or put it on your site.

I don’t think you can really have a file that’s small in size AND great quality AND is easy to share/download. Like @Paulie_D says, you will always have an issue with quality vs. file size.

Having said that, JPEGMini is a great tool to reduce JPGs considerably: http://www.jpegmini.com/main/home

# February 22, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Senff – that link is awesome. Just minified the concepts by 3 times and now are reasonable sizes for sending!

Much appreciated for the advice all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".