Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other See CSS Edit Live

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    nixnerd
    Participant

But I’m switching to a full tiled setup… so I’ll just make one tile the size of a tablet and one the size of a phone.

Obviously this doesn’t address device-specific capabilities… but it does give me an idea of space.

Edit: Would this work on multiple devices? I mean… since it’s Node, I guess it could!

nixnerd
    Participant

Would this work on multiple devices?

Time-saving synchronised browser testing.

That’s the whole point of it.

And here I am thinking it’s cool because it can be installed with npm and seems to work with every text editor.

Erik
    Participant

Yep… officially confused since http://www.browsersync.io/

nixnerd
    Participant

Yep… officially confused since http://www.browsersync.io/

So, it looks like Browser Sync is a tool you can use to update your browser as soon as you change the code. Whether it’s CSS or JS or HTML… Browser Sync should automatically make those changes appear/work in your browser.

AFAIK… You can use it to sync up multiple devices as well. Soo… you could have your laptop, a tablet and a mobile phone all using Browser Sync to allow you to see your changes on all your devices. Now… how this is done locally, I have no idea.

Maybe @shaneisme can explain that part.

__
    Participant

Would this work on multiple devices?

Yeah, that’s the cool part. It’s essentially using node as a proxy server for your dev site, watching your css files and pushing changes over each connection. Browsers on your local machine, other devices, anywhere you can reach your network.

edit nevermind : )

Erik
    Participant

LOL, I feel like that kid in the wheelchair that follows around all the cool kids on the playground right now. :)

shaneisme
    Participant

Yeah it creates a link and everything points to the node server.

It even scrolls or clicks on every device when I do it on my main.

As for keeping things tiled, nothing beats holding it and feeling how your site actually is. Of course, I had a corporate bankroll to build mine… And it’s not technically mine. But I hear people are setting up public device labs… So if you’re in a major city I bet there is one nearby.

nixnerd
    Participant

I feel like that kid in the wheelchair that follows around all the cool kids on the playground

The kids in wheelchairs are the cool kids.

__
    Participant

But I hear people are setting up public device labs… So if you’re in a major city I bet there is one nearby.

I was involved with a co-op group last year that had that in mind. I don’t think we’ve got the funding for it yet, though.

shaneisme
    Participant

Guys… GUYS…

http://ghostlab.vanamco.com/

This is WAY easier!!!

Thanks @chriscoyier for the tip

nixnerd
    Participant

Wow. So many new toys.

__
    Participant

Meh… is it anything more than a Software-As-A-Service? browsersync isn’t difficult to set up. Does ghostlab offer anything significant for its $50 price tag? I’d rather send the money to the browsersync guys. foss ftw.

shaneisme
    Participant

It’s just much easier to set up + I’ve found they catch more movement, clicks, etc.

I’m sure they’ll both improve over time.

nixnerd
    Participant

Oh it’s $50? FTN.

But I’m still glad you sent that link because that gradient in the background is super hot. Really nice use of color.

nixnerd
    Participant

Can you install this with npm or is this a Mac only offering?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.