Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Secure downloads area?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

hey Guys,

I’ve been hunting for some information in regards to this for q few hours now and coming up short. What ultimately im trying to do is basically create a membership area on-site with secure content.

ie, you need to be logged in to download a file or to view a file (streaming video?) … but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to lock down a file. I didn’t want to just do password protected folder on the server, i wanted to keep my login elegant and part of the front site.

Using php/codeigniter i can quite easily allow downloads while hiding the URL of it, but ultimatley the content is still sitting in a non-secure folder. if you had the url of the file you could just type it in and download it.

How exactly do you properly lock down a file, and then how do you allow people access to it later?

locking down inline content is fine, but for anything that sits outside of a page.. videos, zips, etc.. I’m at a loss

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

I’ve been in this situation before for sure and usually end up with making sure the links to the downloable files are behind a protected area and are obscure enough hopefully people won’t be able to find them otherwise. Not ideal though…

I imagine .htaccess stuff is the way to truly protect the files, but usually that involves nasty browser-level login/password windows. There is definitely a clean way to do this though, or at least I would think there is, I just don’t know what it is exactly.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.