Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design School website feedback

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

The website should be more flat, if a modern message is intended.

To suggest that the OP would have to change their website to a flat UI in order to give a message of modernity is absurd.

nixnerd
    Participant

To suggest that the OP would have to change their website to a flat UI in order to give a message of modernity is absurd.

I’m starting to feel this way too. Flat design is good for some things… and not so good for others. It seems the pendulum that is current design trends, has swung too far to the opposite end, in rejection of anything that resembles iOS 6. Did I like iOS 6? Nope. Thought it looked horrible. But I’m also not a huge fan of Google’s Material.

I find that a mix of flat design and skeuomorphism can work quite well. Admittedly, harmony can be hard to achieve but when you do… damn, it’s beautiful.

Sorry for the long comment but I just wanted to second @chrisburton that flat does not always equal better or “more modern.” Sometimes depth and realism is needed. That’s not to say you should put a drop shadow on everything but hell… sometimes it’s called for.

My only standard for good design is: Layouts that make me say “Ohhh s*** that’s beautiful.”

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.