Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS SASS/LESS slower than CSS ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Koopa
    Participant

Does the usage of LESS or SASS slows down a website? Or is the compiling such fast that you don’t notice the preprocessor?

Andy Howells
    Participant

If you use a pre-processor like Codekit you’re only loading regular CSS anyway. If you we’re doing the processing on the server then there would probably be a small overhead.

Andy Howells
    Participant

Yeah, I’d definitely recommend pre-processing – I’m not really sure there’s any real value in compiling for each user request, you’re just adding overhead and load time for no benefit.

The only time it might be worthwhile is if customers are editing the code themselves, or if they’re selecting colour schemes manually.

CssGenie

I am not pretty sure what context you are talking about because preprocessors except less are not used in live sites. Sass doesn’t have any overhead because it is not itself used in any website, what used is compiled normal css code. But when we talk about less, yes it has some impact on site performance, if you are not using compiled css the preprocessor have to process less stylesheet every time the user visits the site so it may cause some impact in slower machines.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.