Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Sad UI dev needs advice on dealing with a stubborn backend developer

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    theacefes

Hey guys,

I’m the lead UI dev at a company and we’re working on a “2.0” version of our product. Before I was brought on to the team, the existing website was built as a single page application that relied on YUI for most of its client-side functionality. The backend is done in C#.

Now that we are rebuilding from the ground up, we have a fantastic opportunity to make some changes in the way the code is done. For instance, separating content, presentation, and behavior. Simple, right?

Except that our lead programmer insists on using inline Javascript and onclick events for event handlers. We are no longer using YUI but he is very anti-JQuery as well. Not to mention he will try to write frontend code to go with his programming and then insists it’s great. (tables?????) He does not believe in unobtrusive Javascript as he says it’s impossible to debug. On one hand I can ignore him but as much as I enjoy this project, I do not wish for my name to be on something that will have messy code and not follow any standards later than 1999.

Any advice on dealing with him without being hostile? Good arguments to bring up?

theacefes

Thanks! Can you think of any reason other than laziness that one wouldn’t want to use Jquery or at least unobtrusive js?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.