Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

RWD: Fluid, Flex or Mobile or a combination? So confused ….

• # May 15, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Well, what I said was that you don’t “necessarily” need a boilerplate. Using it isn’t a bad idea, though.

As for your question on grids, it’s certainly not necessary at all. It can be helpful, but it can also make it a lot harder. Use the math if that’s the easier one for you.

# May 15, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Blatant plug… :P

If you want math examples of a fluid grid, check out [Justify Grid](http://justifygrid.com), it has explanation and a demo on CodePen :) (it’s not a framework by the way!)

# May 22, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Thanks all for your input, I’ve spent the better part of the past week reading more and investigating the best workflow to employ.

I have reviewed several css resources to include H5BP, Normalize, and Initializer. These css resources, after awhile all begin looking the same to me. I am accustomed to using clearfix hack and Meyer’s reset and calling it a day – now I am thinking those weren’t the wisest of choices. (?) I keep seeing a lot of the same style options repeated it seems over and over again. Do they all have that much in common? Should I be leaning toward one over the other? Frankly, all the while I’m getting more and more overwhelmed each passing day. I believe I have come to the conclusion that I’ll use an existing site’s html, converting it to html5 from xhtml 1.0 transitional and diving in head-first with the ole hit/miss or trial/error mentality.

I do understand that the “majority” hold the opinion of designing for mobile first, to me it’s 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other – regardless of where I start it will all be a learning experience.

Question:

1.) I am unfamiliar with bringing in more than 1 css styles sheet, how would I, for example bring in normalize and h5bp in addition to my own styles.css? Would I condense all this into 1 css resource (along with my media queries)?

2.) Workflow for rwd, is there a resource or a consensus on how to logically attack the process succinctly?

Thanks for your continued support ………….

# May 22, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Keep things simple. You are overloading yourself with information. RWD at it’s core is very simple.

“**code removed, pen provided**”

Code Pen: http://codepen.io/seraphzz/pen/Kafry

Resize the window to see background color change.

# May 22, 2013 at 10:05 pm

> I have reviewed several css resources to include H5BP, Normalize, and Initializer. These css resources, after awhile all begin looking the same to me.

They should be. It’s based of most common patterns that emerge from starting any new project. And HTML5 Boilerplate includes Normalize. It’s a opinionated starting point. You can, and I encourage you, create your own started boilerplate.

> I am unfamiliar with bringing in more than 1 css styles sheet, how would I, for example bring in normalize and h5bp.

You would either concatenate them together or link them in the correct order in your HTML document. Like so,

` `

> Workflow for rwd, is there a resource or a consensus on how to logically attack the process succinctly?

You need to understand how everything relates to RWD to formalize your own solid workflow. So keep experimenting and adding to your improving workflow. Even most advance professionals are constantly evolving their workflow.

http://bdconf.com/2012/orlando/schedule#stephenhay

# May 22, 2013 at 10:07 pm

> Is it necessary that I move towards a “grid system” at all, or can I address that functionality by just doing the necessary math to address the percentages necessary to have my layout present properly?

Don’t reinvent the wheel, but do have a look at http://responsive.gs/

# May 23, 2013 at 8:09 am

Thanks AlenAbdula for ALL of the above!

It is very motivating to me that you took the time to address each of my concerns. Today will be THE day that I get something done.

Great forum + Great people = Great resource.

Needless to say, I’ll be around from time to time in the near future – keep an eye out for me.

I also want to take a moment to thank all of you (again) for responding to my plea.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".