Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other RWD approach, what suits me best?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sklokgieters
    Participant

Hi everyone,

For a coming up project I will be developing a large responsive website. Because I want the website to be “future proof” there are some issues to tackle.

The main idea is to create a main lay-out (like a grid) to control the column structures. Let say that I will be using max. 4 columns for my main lay-out where the inner content will be percentual for the main part, my wireframes will be designed for a set of device groups. But this is where my concern kicks in…

Some people say let your content control the breakpoints, other say choose a set of resolutions that you want to target (ofcourse they will be converted to EMs). From my standpoint, with the main grid to control the main lay-out what’s the best approach? Personally, I tend more towards a classification on the basis of resolutions.

I want to be flexible but I also want some “control”, especially since the website must be future proof. The last thing I want to do is only targeting a specific set of devices which will kick me in the back towards the future.

What is your experience with RWD and what is your opinion about my approach? I want to thank everyone in advance for their feedback, I’d love to hear from you!

Alen
    Participant

There’s no such thing as “future proof” there is however “future friendly”.

http://futurefriendlyweb.com/resources.html

Some people say let your content control the breakpoints, other say choose a set of resolutions

These people are on crack. Seriously.

Your use-case might call for one or the other. It all depends on how you want to approach this. I suggest you play around with different techniques and figure out what works best. Also, you can combine the two.

I prefer to use Mobile First approach and tend to create breakpoints based on when my design breaks.

chrisburton
    Participant

Some people say let your content control the breakpoints, other say choose a set of resolutions

These people are on crack. Seriously.

Huh? Letting the flow of content dictate breakpoints is bad? Am I misunderstanding you?

Alen
    Participant

Both camps are on crack. One is not better than the other. It’s just a different approach.

As I said…

I prefer to use Mobile First approach and tend to create breakpoints based on when my design breaks.

sklokgieters
    Participant

Hmm, but what is the best approach when somebody else is making the wireframes/ design. There has to be some kind of logical system regarding the breakpoints. Overview is the key when building large scale websites.

It’s not that I will be setting up a max. 5 page website, I’ll have to build dozens of pages and I can’t spend time for each page individual to determine when the content will need breakpoints. That’s why I tend more towards a classification on the basis of resolutions/ device groups.

Has anyone else had similar problems/ concerns regarding this aspect?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.