Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Run Linux on Windows Program?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Erik
    Participant

Has anyone ever used VirtualBox to run a Linux program on windows?

nixnerd
    Participant

I have used VirtualBox to run Linux inside Linux. Ha ha ha. Dude… are you thinking about taking the red pill? It’s pretty awesome.

nixnerd
    Participant

Out of curiosity @Erik, what program are you trying to run?

Erik
    Participant

@NIX The Red Pill?…

nixnerd
    Participant

Yup. That’s where you stay in wonderland and see how deep the rabbit hole goes. In other words, you try Linux and are never the same :)

Erik
    Participant

@NIX Trying to run a program called WPScan

nixnerd
    Participant

This looks like something you would install on a server… not necessarily a local dev environment. BTW, you would be hard pressed to find a person here who doesn’t run Linux on their server.

nixnerd
    Participant

But I would say… in order to install this on a server… you should probably have a working knowledge of Linux and be familiar with a CLI or Linux Terminal. Did you see the install instructions? It’s going to be all text based.

Erik
    Participant

@NIX I think I just going to go back to basics for now.. the pill and sit in medicine cabinet for awhile yet lol

nixnerd
    Participant

Ha ha ha. Ok then. Just let us know when you’re ready.

__
    Participant

If you look at the man section, you’ll see it does its work over cURL, so you don’t need to worry about running a server. If you start with an unmodified Linux instance (say, Ubuntu 14.04), you should be able to simply follow the install instructions.

nixnerd
    Participant

I didn’t actually look at the man page @traq but I’m wondering… what would be the point of running a WP security tool locally? Isn’t that what it does?

Edit: Looks like maybe it just scans a url that you feed it and it reports back to you on potential issues?

Alen
    Participant

what would be the point of running a WP security tool locally?

For testing.

nixnerd
    Participant

Got it. I thought it was a tool that is always actively scanning and letting you know about suspicious stuff. Didn’t realize it was more of a preventative planning tool.

nixnerd
    Participant

So then @Erik… why do you even need VirtualBox? Just install Ubuntu right beside Windows and use Ubuntu to do your WPScan thing.

Some people will tell you dual booting sucks :) Sometimes I think VirtualBox sucks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.