Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Robots.txt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    TT_Mark

May not be the best place for this question, but if I disallow a Robot from a file that is included in another file, will that affect the indexing?

e.g. I have a PHP Header file, which I don’t want indexed on its own because it means nothing. If I set Robots.txt to Disallow: /Header.php will this cause problems when I include the file within the Default.php?

jamygolden

I don’t think it should affect it at all. Google shouldn’t see header.php and index.php as having any relationship with eachother since google can’t see the php, only the html.

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /staging-area/
    Disallow: /includes/
    Disallow: /styles/

That’s within the robots.txt on one of the websites I work on and it seems to be doing fine on google.

/includes/ contains header.php, footer.php, menu.php, etc.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Definitely won’t matter. But also most likely isn’t necessary. There probably isn’t any links to your header.php file so google doesn’t even know about it. And if it did, I would think it’s smart enough to understand what’s happening and not list it in any results.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.