Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Retina @2x.png vs SVG

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

Since there has been a lot of discussions on Retina and giving support for it, why are we using 2x the image size when we could just use SVG? When zooming in a @2x.png, you still get pixelated images however, that’s not the case with SVG. Why are we not supporting SVG overall and using conditional stylesheets for IE instead?

Senff
    Participant

My first guess is that not everything can be vectorized….it works for shapes and typography and things like that, but a picture of my cat* is a bit more tricky to turn into vectors. So while it would definitely work for logos and things like that, the use of photo imagery would keep us from supporting it “overall”.

I may be talking out of my butt though, as I haven’t really dived in SVG and its possibilities yet…

* = haha, I don’t even have a cat!

chrisburton
    Participant

Yep, that is true. I’m speaking mostly on icons, text and basically anything you want to scale that could also be in vector format.

Update: I do notice that when using vector textures, there seems to be an enormous file size difference. For an image 200×100 with texture, an SVG comes out over 8mb while a PNG is just 22kb.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.