Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Respond/Modernizr

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brightonmike

I always have problems with this. The site is: Linky

I’m currently trying Modernizr with Respond.js built it, but IE8 still ignores my media queries. I’ve tried Respond.js on it’s own. I’ve looked at my CSS and it seems fine. It’s not the “www” issue, because without the “www” it still doesn’t work. It’s not the minified issue either, because the CSS isn’t being minified.

Any ideas? Just cannot see for the life of me what I’m doing wrong.

Brightonmike

Does nobody have any ideas or help for me?

Please?

Brightonmike

:(

Johnnyb

Hey Mike,

As you’re using WordPress have you tried using the respond.js WP plugin instead of just the jquery plugin? http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/respondjs/

Brightonmike

Damn you, that worked! But why?! All it is doing is loading the same script in the same place!?

But THANK YOU. You’ve no idea how much of a headache you’ve saved me.

Johnnyb

No probs, glad I could help mate.

Don’t really know the ins and outs of why it won’t work, probably something to do with the WordPress file structure. I had the same problem when using LESS on a WP site, and ended up just using the LESS WP plugin instead.

cjseattle

Hey Brightonmike, if it makes you feel any better neither works for me!

I also am developing a site on WordPress and have added the respond.js minified file to be loaded with the ‘wp_enqueue_scripts’ hook in my functions.php file. It didn’t work.

I saw this thread and hopefully tried the plugin, but it doesn’t work either. The plugin does load the exact same minified file, but does so with the ‘init’ action hook instead of ‘wp_enqueue_scripts’ (which is actually not the preferred hook to use). The only difference between my code and the use of the plugin is that the js file was inserted a few lines higher with the plugin.

I’ve also tried the css3-mediaqueries.js, and it doesn’t work for me, either.

I’ve developed my site to be ‘mobile first’. I think I’m going to give up for IE8 and below, assume that anyone viewing my site with those browsers is using a laptop/desktop, and serve up a fixed 960px layout.

rueavin

Johnny b u r magical! I had the same problem as brightonmike and was ready to jump off a bridge haha jk jk i was ready to throw my laptop of a bridge. I also had a wordpress site, played around with media queries for forever and nothing else worked but the respond.js plugin! Thanks so much!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.