Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

RESOLVED: Need help with wordpress: finding the correct file

  • # January 11, 2009 at 7:49 am

    Hey everyone,

    I am a wee bit stuck.

    I am making a theme for my martial arts club, and it is about 99% complete, in fact the them itself is done, its the actual wordpress files, I need to add some html to one or 2 of them, but I can’t for the life of me find out which ones.

    ok here is a link to the blog: http://www.woskf.co.uk/blog/2009/01/10/hello-world/1/
    it is still in testing. my problem is the navigation sidebar.

    I don’t want a lot of wordpress stuff on it, as wordpress will only be used for generating small articles, and the ability to leave commments.

    so I have the navigation with the normal nav for the site but with navigation for the blog (and this is my problem)

    My problem is a size issue, underneath my link to "chinese" my heading for "Blog navigation" is immediate, I would like at least 15px space.
    underneath that I have register, log in, log out as links, and they display fine.
    Then I have a heading for recent posts, and this has a space between the Log out link, and the links underneath this heaing is fine also.
    Then my seacrh heading is immediately after the last link of my posts heading.

    Image screen shot with red squares to what I mean:
    [img]http://www.woskf.co.uk/images/wordpress.JPG[/img]

    Can anyone help me out to find the php file I can add some html to.

    if anyone wants the code I am using just ask & I will paste here.

    thanks.

    Rob
    # January 11, 2009 at 8:10 am

    can you post the code for your sidebar.php file? :)

    # January 11, 2009 at 8:11 am
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    can you post the code for your sidebar.php file? :)
    Code:


    There are some things there that I am keeping but I have the dynamic sidebar/widget so this supercedes most of the php code for pages/posts etc

    # January 11, 2009 at 8:29 am

    I am going to take a stab at this, not sure if it is the correct way or if it is what you are looking for. But could you put in <p>&nbsp;</p>

    between those areas you need spacing? Or create a

    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    <a class="nav" href="http://www.woskf.co.uk/chinese.php">&nbsp;Chinese&nbsp;</a&gt;
    </div>
    <br><br><br><br>
    <div><!– empty –></div>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <div class="navTitle"><br>Blog Navigation</div><br />

    Then style the <p> 15 px?

    Just a suggestion question, as I am learning.

    # January 11, 2009 at 8:44 am
    "nicholasgomez" wrote:
    I am going to take a stab at this, not sure if it is the correct way or if it is what you are looking for. But could you put in <p>&nbsp;</p>

    between those areas you need spacing? Or create a

    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    <a class="nav" href="http://www.woskf.co.uk/chinese.php">&nbsp;Chinese&nbsp;</a&gt;
    </div>
    <br><br><br><br>
    <div><!– empty –></div>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <div class="navTitle"><br>Blog Navigation</div><br />

    Then style the <p> 15 px?

    Just a suggestion question, as I am learning.

    tried all that dude, but to no avail, even tried break lines in different places, outside divs, inside divs, extra <p>’s extra li’s a seperate ul with li, but to no avail.

    oh, welcome

    # January 11, 2009 at 3:08 pm

    OK,

    After lots of hours, I think I have got it looking the way I want, but I have one very small but very noticable problem.

    I have put the main site navigation below the blog navigation, if I hover over all links at the left hand side (mainly) they all work with the exception of one link.
    under the heading "Recent Posts" I have a link to Hello World, hover over the left of the link( i.e. over the text) and it does not work (not changing on hover and not even registering it as a link), hover over the far right of the link area and the hover works.

    Edit: it is a problem in FF, Safari & Chrome, nut not a problem in Opera & IE8…
    Edit: even stranger, the first link in that list of recent posts, seems to work well, but on very close inspection it has strange hover properties:from top left -right, middle left-right works, but from bottom-centre to right works as a link, bottom left doesn’t hover or register as link

    could someone help?

    Rob
    # January 11, 2009 at 4:17 pm

    for your hello world, your h2 for your search bar is covering over your hello world link..

    if you have a look here:

    http://www.svgonline.co.uk/helloworld.jpg

    its overlapped so your trying to select the link through a block element.

    Not looked at everything else yet lol

    # January 11, 2009 at 4:33 pm
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    for your hello world, your h2 for your search bar is covering over your hello world link..

    if you have a look here:

    http://www.svgonline.co.uk/helloworld.jpg

    its overlapped so your trying to select the link through a block element.

    Not looked at everything else yet lol

    thanks, I just got rid of the positions relative & display Block from 2 CSS variables, and it works a treat, now to delete the basics stuff and add in some of mine,

    cheers robskiwarrior, your a legend

    Rob
    # January 11, 2009 at 4:56 pm

    no probs dude :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".