Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Relative and absolute position

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    fs_tigre

Hi,
    Excuse my ignorance but I’m still confused as far as when to use relative and absolute position and I would like to know when it’s appropriate to use these two positions methods and when it is not.

Can someone please be so kind and explain this a little bit?
    Thanks

cybershot
    Participant

https://css-tricks.com/absolute-position … sitioning/

Some people use it to make their content and their sidebar. I usually float my content and sidebar area. But lets say you had a picuture of paper as the background and you wanted a pair of scissors to sit on the top right corner of the paper that wasn’t part of the original design. You can still put in the picture by using relative and absolute positioning. Because what you are doing is removing the scissors out of the normal flow of the code and placing them in a certain spot with absolute positioning. But if you don’t put relative positioning on the parent element, the scissors will move when you resize the browswer. Chris did a video of this to explain it, but I am not sure which video it is and there are to many to go looking. Poke through them and maybe you will get lucky or maybe chris will remember the title and be able to share that with you.

fs_tigre

Thanks a lot!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.