Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Related to transparent png problem on old ie browsers

• o-d
    # April 1, 2008 at 12:50 pm

I tried some of the ways to solve it. but cannot find a proper fix for it. Which of the transparent png fix way do you prefer?

# April 1, 2008 at 1:05 pm

I quit using transparent png’s all together except when i NEED them. just to much of a pain. none of the JS ever worked right for me and just wasn’t worth the time. for experimenting it’s awesome. if you could care less about the gray box they’re awesome. for practical application i stick with what i know works.

.V1
    # April 1, 2008 at 1:13 pm

I just build a IE6.css stylesheet where i put my alpha filters in. Unless im using background position, than ill just replace the PNG with a gif.

And i use PHP or javascript to automaticly scan the use to see with browser type they are using, and add the corresponding stylesheet to it, :)

# April 1, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Yup, that’s one way to do it, and that’s probably the way I would use too.
    2x more job, but meh, you get something that work on every major browser :)

# April 1, 2008 at 4:05 pm

I just usually end up using a .gif, or if using a .png then will use a conditional css file for ie6 with alpha filters

# April 1, 2008 at 4:20 pm

Yeah, .gif also work.
    In fact I just realised that’s the way I use the most :O

box
    # April 1, 2008 at 5:48 pm

I tend to use a conditional-commented style sheet to address background pngs – but this link has a easy to use fix too. I’ve used this a few times.
    Unfortunately – we’ll have to keep coding for IE6 for a year or two more and if the fix for a design is easy enough to implement – then I believe we have a duty to do so. For the time being anyway.

# April 2, 2008 at 8:06 am

This is the easiest and best fix I have ran across. It’s a 2 step process. First add this js file to a place that’s easily accessible to your pages, either the root or js/scripts folder.[attachment=0]pngfix.zip[/attachment]

Then add this code to the <head> section of your page.

Code:

Don’t forget to change the src="pngfix.js" to the place you put the file.

# April 2, 2008 at 10:11 am

Hello!!

This one saved my life, just place it anywhere between the <head> </head> tags

Code:
    .V1
    # April 3, 2008 at 4:43 am

U do know that your scripts applies to ALL ie’s above 5,5… so also ie 7 and 8 which have no problems with PNG.

"Oscar" wrote:
    Hello!!

Code:
    # April 3, 2008 at 9:36 am
    ".V1" wrote:
    U do know that your scripts applies to ALL ie’s above 5,5… so also ie 7 and 8 which have no problems with PNG.

"Oscar" wrote:
    Hello!!

Code:

Just change your <!–[if gte IE 5.5000]> to <!–[if lt IE 7.]> This script is the same as the file I posted previously. I just use an include instead of posting the entire script inside the head of each page.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".