Grow your CSS skills. Land your dream job.

Recommended pixel dimensions?

• # December 18, 2008 at 7:46 pm

Watching the screencasts on creating a website in photoshop. Whats the best pixel recommendation for most websites?

Rob
    # December 19, 2008 at 4:38 am

well that depends on your design :)

I think for the standard scrolling up and down style website, these days I would aim to fit in a width of 1024px as a minimum rez, so about 900px to 975px wide for the main body. I think most machines would de defaulting to 1280×1024 these days – well thats the majority of resolutions to my site anyway :)

# December 19, 2008 at 10:02 am

960px is the number all the hip kids use. It’s a good one. Evenly divisible by lots of numbers.

Rob
    # December 19, 2008 at 11:03 am

Goin on from what Chris said here is a cool cheat sheet from Yahoo

http://yuiblog.com/assets/pdf/cheatsheets/css.pdf

And some more info from their great research:

http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/

This will give you loads of ideas for grid sizes (for nice divisable layouts :))

# December 21, 2008 at 5:03 pm

Wow. Thanks for all the help guys. This is great.
    Thank you Chris for having this forum. Great information posted here.

# December 22, 2008 at 7:32 pm

I just stumbled upon a new technique. I like to make my sites 960px. it seems to work good. then I make my canvas size in photoshop 1024 or larger to show what would be on both sides of the site. then by pressing the tab key, you can hide the sidebars in photoshop and get a real good look at what the site will actually look like.

Rob
    # December 22, 2008 at 7:45 pm
    "cybershot" wrote:
    I just stumbled upon a new technique. I like to make my sites 960px. it seems to work good. then I make my canvas size in photoshop 1024 or larger to show what would be on both sides of the site. then by pressing the tab key, you can hide the sidebars in photoshop and get a real good look at what the site will actually look like.

hehe yea, what I do is say make my canvas 960px wide, then shove some guides up at the edges of the page – then extend the canvas left and right to 1600px. Then I can see it all :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

*May or may not contain any actual "CSS" or "Tricks".